SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-09-06, 01:38 PM   #1
Anonymous

Default road tax - confused

i renewed my road tax last month and thought it was cheap but didnt really think about it. mum got her renewal in this week and its £60 a year more than mine.

her car is a yaris and under 1 litre engine - something like 998 - cost £100 for 12 months

mine is a suzuki alto and has a massive 1.1 litre engine - cost £40 for 12 months.

that is cheaper than my bike?

looking on dvla site looks like ive been undercharged. have no idea what is going on. should i enquire and risk it going up or keep quiet and hope i dont get a bill later?
Old 17-09-06, 02:01 PM   #2
jim@55

its all to do with emissions hazel,my wife taxed her car last week(clio 1.5 dci)and it was really cheap ,something like £40 for the yr i still have to pay a lot more (vectra 2.0 dti)its all about the band for the car (dictated by the emissions)so dont worry about it ,its all correct ,i thought the same but checked and it was right
Old 17-09-06, 02:06 PM   #3
ArtyLady

thats weird isnt it Havent they changed things lately reducing smaller engined car rates? (Ive been off the road for a while so out of touch) my OH said my little 1.3 car is only going to cost me £60 for the whole year? I dont know if he is right and my bike is going to be the same I will find out when I go and tax them both in a couple of weeks.

I cant imagine for a minute the PO staff would make a mistake on something like that - but I spose anything is possible - as to whether to enquire? I dont know whether they would then insist on you paying up the rest - probably - knowing them

edit - got side tracked and posted this after you posted jim - ignore me Nutty I havent got a clue
Old 17-09-06, 02:10 PM   #4
K

It has something to do with the age of the car too. Though my mini is only a 998cc engine, it's old so costs me £100 for a year.
Old 17-09-06, 02:16 PM   #5
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by K
It has something to do with the age of the car too. Though my mini is only a 998cc engine, it's old so costs me £100 for a year.
my mums car has smaller engine but is one year older than mine an 03 plate whereas im an 04

i did it all on line so silly post office staff could not muck up.
Old 17-09-06, 03:58 PM   #6
Dicky Ticker

All to do with emissions and Eco 2-3 or 4 engines. Basics being that the older smaller engines throw out as much if not more crap than there newer larger counterparts which tend to be leaner burn engines and cleaner
Old 17-09-06, 05:00 PM   #7
kwak zzr

if you google search ( car tax bands ) it give you a chart of who pays what you go by your co'2 emissions on your log book. generaly diesel cars are cheaper.
this all came into force in 2001.
Old 17-09-06, 05:26 PM   #8
Red ones
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr
Thats what I thought, but my AStra 1.6 never shows on the lists of emissions and so gets clobbered for £175 a year. Seems rediculous.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-06, 06:55 PM   #9
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr
Thats what I thought, but my AStra 1.6 never shows on the lists of emissions and so gets clobbered for £175 a year. Seems rediculous.
£185 for my 1.8 litre Suzuki. Although cat-equiped and fairly fuel efficient, it's not as clean as newer car.
Old 17-09-06, 07:10 PM   #10
the white rabbit

Yes I lost out on my 1.4 Ibiza too. Bah!