SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-10-12, 08:20 PM   #1
Jd220

Smile Just bought Myself a 2000 Sv650s (could do with some friendly advice)

Hi, I have just passed my test and picked up a 2000 half faired Sv650,
most of the service history present, old mot's ect, 44k on the clocks.
overall the bike is spot on, few cracks here and there but that was expected when i bought it,
just generally looking for some advice on what to check to ensure the engine is running sweet and too keep it maintained.

the only problems im having/experienced:

Front brake light sensor not working - not a major issue.

Oil light flashing when bike is idling after 10-20 miles rides? (checked wires and oil level)

Knocking/clanging noise when idling - disapears when i pull the clutch in?

other than that i think everything is sweet, just don't wan't it breaking cause of a slight fault that was left untouched, any advice will be much apreciated.

Thanks, John
Old 23-10-12, 08:30 PM   #2
svrich

Default Re: Just bought Myself a 2000 Sv650s (could do with some friendly advice)

Welcome.
The brake light will probably just be the switch on the lever.
The oil light is for oil pressure, not level, so would be worth investigating asap.
Knocking/clanging going when clutch is pulled in - sorry, not experienced anything like that. I'll leave thet one to one of the many more experienced members.
Old 23-10-12, 08:36 PM   #3
Jd220

Default Re: Just bought Myself a 2000 Sv650s (could do with some friendly advice)

Thankyou for your reply Rich, i think the oil light is something im going to get looked at im pretty sure it shouldnt be coming on, hopefully someone has got some advice on the problems thanks again
Old 23-10-12, 08:40 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Front brake light: Pull the wires off and short them, does the brake light come on? If yes then the switch is goosed, you can try this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
If yes then the switch is the problem, remove it, fill with WD40 or similar and operate the switch with your finger a few million times. If the switch still 'clicks' then it very likely hasn't mechanically failed, so the 'switch full of WD and click it a lot' approach often works in cleaning the contacts.
If no then the wiring is at fault, check to see if either of the wires is live, if no then there is a supply problem, if yes then the wire from the front switch to the rear switch/rear light assembly is at fault.
Oil light: There may be low oil pressure, or the pressure switch may be U/S, if the bike seems otherwise OK, then there's room for optimism that it's the switch. Substitution with a new/known good unit is the only realistic way. Also check the idle speed as that being low can affect the oil pressure, it should be about 1200/1300rpm, when fully hot.

Which leads me neatly to: Clutch noise; This is affected by a number of things, of which low idle is one, which dovetails neatly with the above possibilities, also carburettor balance has a significant effect on clutch noise.

The above is hardly a certainty, but bears investigation before delving deeper.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-12, 10:05 PM   #5
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

I have not ever bought a bike without proven history and not immediately changed the oil & oil filter. Do this first. Then move on to idle speed as Sid Squids's post.
Old 23-10-12, 10:39 PM   #6
Jd220

thanks for your advice guys, ill get those things looked at and let you know the outcome
Old 24-10-12, 12:21 AM   #7
chezvegas85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
If yes then the switch is the problem, remove it, fill with WD40 or similar and operate the switch with your finger a few million times. If the switch still 'clicks' then it very likely hasn't mechanically failed, so the 'switch full of WD and click it a lot' approach often works in cleaning the contacts.
If no then the wiring is at fault, check to see if either of the wires is live, if no then there is a supply problem, if yes then the wire from the front switch to the rear switch/rear light assembly is at fault.

Looks familiar sid
Old 24-10-12, 01:15 PM   #8
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
I have not ever bought a bike without proven history and not immediately changed the oil & oil filter. Do this first. Then move on to idle speed as Sid Squids's post.
Whilst the above is perfectly sensible advice, I'd check the idle speed is right first - that requires a twist of the knob and no parts or tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezvegas85 View Post
Looks familiar sid
D'ya think?
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote