SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 07-01-08, 12:51 PM   #1
fat_brstd

Default FAO Philbut

As you may know my zzr is a bit buggered. Something is massivly wrong with the electrics and i have no idea where to start. I was wondering if you might be able to pop over some time and give us a hand with trying to sort out the wireing. I know yours is an E model and mines a D but there cant be that much thats different about them and I have been lead to believe you did do an almost complete rebuild on yours.

I have just got a complete wiring loom, the alternator strator binding things and a fuse box all off ebay that arrived this morn so with those it should be fixable. Also got 2 batteries just incase.

Im thinking its the alternator that the problem and possibly a shorting wire somewhere. I managed to get it started by jumping it off my housemates car and then left it to warm up and gave it a bit of throttle to try and get the charge back into the battery but after a while it just died and wouldnt restart. It didnt even have enough power to light the idiot lights or neutral light.

hopefully I can get it all fixed soon so as i dont have to keep getting the bloody bus to work everyday. Cheers
Old 07-01-08, 05:05 PM   #2
philbut

Default Re: FAO Philbut

hey man. Thats fine. It'll probably be the weekend cos its sh*t trying to work on stuff in the dark. i've got the Haynes manual for it somewhere too so I'll bring that just incase, but I think I know my way round em pretty well now. have you mamnaged to get a volt meter on the battery when its runnign and checked th charge rate. That would rule out the alternator and or regulator. It should be around 13.5V - 14V from memory with all the lights turned on (you may need to give it a bit of throttle). Any less or much over and the regulator is most likely shagged. This could explane why it starts and runs briefly - you charge the battery a bit but not enough to keep the voltage up the the right level.

What have you checked so far? I know the regulator is meant to be a weak point so I gues you've already ruled that out.
Old 17-01-08, 01:01 PM   #3
fat_brstd

ok heres the deal. Ive got a new strator winding thing for the alternator and ive just got a new rectifier. I have no idea where these things go. Can you please tell me where they go/how to get to them. I found the rec attached to the subframe next to the battery and im guessing the alternator is on the side of the engine but i dont really have any idea how to get to it.

if anyone can help then that would be cool.

cheers guys
Old 17-01-08, 01:09 PM   #4
philbut

Yeah, the reg is bolted to the sub frame. I'll have to take a look at my haynes manual tonight to check about the alternator, as it may be different on the D. If you can get hold of a volt meter and check the chargging voltage before you take the old bits off you'll be able to establish whether its the reg or the alternator (much easier to change the reg I imagine as its jsut 2 bolts and a connector). buggered alternator will mean very low or no charging. Reg busted will probably mean over charging or not quite enough to maintain a steady 12.5-14V