SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-09-10, 03:35 PM   #1
skithepowder

Default Curvy won't start - what to quickly check?

Mate just bought a 2000 curvy, good condition, recent service and mot. Got about 40 miles away, he stalled it in traffic and now it won't start.

Its as though all electrics have died, no ignition lights light up etc when turning the ignition.

We've tried kill switch, checking all fuses, it's in neutral, kick stand up, clutch in. No electrics/lights/dashboard warning lights are lighting up at all when you turn the ignition.

What can we try? He is covered by the KGB breakdown people for 7 days and has green flag anyway so well try them, but anyone else have any ideas of things we should quickly check?

Thanks
Old 25-09-10, 03:40 PM   #2
husky03
Mega Poster

Default Re: Curvy won't start - what to quickly check?

check battery connections
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-10, 03:44 PM   #3
warrenhewitt10

and also check the main fuse afterwards
Old 25-09-10, 05:26 PM   #4
Berlin

Then Reg/rec.

C
Old 25-09-10, 05:38 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

Main fuse under the green cover behind the right side triangle panel.

Next check wiring loom for chafing points, favourite ones are behind both the bolts holding the rider's seat on (bolts too long and hit the loom), under the pillion seat in the cubby box on the left rear the wiring bends round a frame bracket (wears through), anywhere round the headstock area where loom flexes and can rub.
Old 26-09-10, 02:04 PM   #6
skithepowder

Thanks guys, having checked a few more things and looked up the regulator/rectifier problem online we're almost certain its the regulator/rectifier, sounds like a textbook case based on the symptoms.

How much are you looking at it to get this replaced, what kind of quote would be a good price?

Thanks
Old 26-09-10, 03:55 PM   #7
zunkus

I've opted to try fit a CBR one though which has more oooomph to it as it dishes out 14V+ continuously from idle unlike the SV650 stock item. I've also rewired the harness with 12g wire for lower loss. Should improve things a bit. Search for CBR regulator/rectifier here or on svrider.com for more info.

Check out this link: http://forum.svrider.com/showthread....or%2Frectifier

Last edited by zunkus; 26-09-10 at 04:00 PM.
Old 26-09-10, 04:45 PM   #8
jambo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by skithepowder View Post
Thanks guys, having checked a few more things and looked up the regulator/rectifier problem online we're almost certain its the regulator/rectifier, sounds like a textbook case based on the symptoms.
It may be thatthe reg/rec's knackered, but if you search on here long enough you'll find someone has diagnosed a dead reg/rec for almost everything that has gone wrong with an SV ever.

Charge the battery up (it's under the rider seat). If, after replacing it the bike's still unresponsive, then the reg/rec cannot be your immidiate problem.

As Embee says, I'd check the main fuse hasn't blown, if it has, look for a cause (i.e. chaffed wiring).

This is not to say you don't have a problem with a reg/rec, but I'd start with the basics.

Jambo
Old 26-09-10, 04:57 PM   #9
skithepowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post

This is not to say you don't have a problem with a reg/rec, but I'd start with the basics.

Jambo
Yeah we checked all the wiring aswell as the main fuse. It had a new battery about 40 miles ago last month- I'll let you know what it's eventually diagnosed as but it sounds like reg/rectifier he's having someone take a look at it tomorrow.