SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-10-06, 09:33 AM   #1
andyb

Default Chains & Sprockets - Have searched already

I have read previous posts about replacement C&S kits. I want to get slightly better acceleration but not stupid amaount that is going to increase the fuel comsumption loads and bring down the C&S life a huge amount.

I am looking at keeping the front sprocket a standard 14 and increasing the rear to 46. Do people think this is going to affect fuel and wear that much? Also if I do this will I have to get a 110 link chain?

I am looking at a Triple S X Ring Gold chain with steel sprockets from BFM which comes to £82 ish delivered.

Cheers
Andy
Old 04-10-06, 09:45 AM   #2
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Standard front sprocket is 15 by the way. I believe a 110 link chain would be ok for a 46 teeth rear but I'm sure someone would be able to confirm(or not).

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-06, 09:54 AM   #3
Flamin_Squirrel

Won't make any difference to your fuel economy.
Old 04-10-06, 11:08 AM   #4
andyb

Oops, I meant to write 15. Am I right in thinking that the 'S' has a standard 108 link chain but a 110 will be required for a 46 rear?
Old 04-10-06, 11:20 AM   #5
bobit69

Quote:
Oops, I meant to write 15. Am I right in thinking that the 'S' has a standard 108 link chain but a 110 will be required for a 46 rear?
Yes. Or so I have been told! Thats why I am still on standard.... Too tight to buy a new chain!
Old 04-10-06, 11:30 AM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
It will. Did on mine.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-06, 11:39 AM   #7
andyb

Viney, what set-up have you got on yours and how much did it affect the fuel consumption. Im not hugely worried just so long as it stays sensible.
Old 04-10-06, 12:48 PM   #8
instigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
It will. Did on mine.
Yeah it should do, downgearing raises the revs does it not so essentially you're making the engine run faster than before. I would expect a little drop in fuel economy but not too big a difference.
Old 04-10-06, 02:24 PM   #9
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb
Viney, what set-up have you got on yours and how much did it affect the fuel consumption. Im not hugely worried just so long as it stays sensible.
Sorry andy, i was just responding to Squirrels post. Anyhoo, i used to have a 14t on the front and what with the increased revs, as stated, and the fact that you want to nail it everywhere, it dont help the fuel consumption. I suppose that i dropped about 10-15 miles per tank.

If you put the non S kit on your bike, then im sure this will give you the little extra that you need. However, if you do any long a road work, or motorway work, i wouldnt put anything larger than a 47t on the rear, and definilty leave the front std. For the record, i run std S gearing and i find it ok for me.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-06, 02:34 PM   #10
andyb

Cheers Viney.

So I still need to know what length chain I will need if I fit a 46 to the rear and keep the front standard. I do, do a lot of A road riding but I prefer to ride in 5th rather than 6th to keep the rpm slightly higher and give me more grunt! So thats why I was thinking if I increase to a 46 I will have more acceleration in lower speeds and will be able to put it in 6th to tame the extra rpm?! Make sense?!!

Cheers