SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-10-07, 07:15 AM   #1
gettin2dizzy

Talking New 20mph Speed cameras

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7046200.stm
I couldn't agree less. These tend to be around schools- areas where you shouldn't be concentrating on your speedo/cameras. Possibly the WORST place to put them. Another waste of public money
Old 16-10-07, 07:19 AM   #2

Default Re: New 20mph Speed cameras

there idiots... just idiots..

that report might well have read..

"All vehicles Banned from roads"

The government want to ban all vehicles from the roads in order cut deaths on our roads...a safety watchdog said banning all vehciles is the only sure way to cut road deaths..... grrrr fking grrr....

I drive past 11 or 12 speed cameras on the way to work... its a joke....
Old 16-10-07, 07:25 AM   #3
Welsh_Wizard

Even though i am completely against all these traffic calming measures if located in the wrong place, outside schools and nursery's is acceptable in my book. Kids are mad for it when they've just left school and are running around like banshee's - all it takes is one to run out for a complete tragedy to happen. Not only could the kid die, i know that if i knocked over a nippa' my life would be ruined ! Imagine trying to live with that ??!!

..and on another note, motorcyclists shouldn't be in a 20 zone anyhow's unless you absolutely have too to get to the A/B roads your destined for
Old 16-10-07, 07:47 AM   #4
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh_Wizard View Post
Even though i am completely against all these traffic calming measures if located in the wrong place, outside schools and nursery's is acceptable in my book. Kids are mad for it when they've just left school and are running around like banshee's - all it takes is one to run out for a complete tragedy to happen. Not only could the kid die, i know that if i knocked over a nippa' my life would be ruined ! Imagine trying to live with that ??!!

..and on another note, motorcyclists shouldn't be in a 20 zone anyhow's unless you absolutely have too to get to the A/B roads your destined for
That's why I think it's a mad idea. Outside schools is the area you need to be on the ball. Not watching your speedo. I'm quite capable of working out what too fast is.
Old 16-10-07, 07:51 AM   #5
Grinch

What happened to teaching kids to cross the road correctly?
Old 16-10-07, 07:56 AM   #6
Smudge

Quote:

yep and you wont see them for looking at your speedo
Old 16-10-07, 08:05 AM   #7
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
What happened to teaching kids to cross the road correctly?

Doesn't generate revenue for the Gov't and if taught incorrectly, parents would probably sue the school when little Timmy dahling runs in front of a car!
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-07, 08:13 AM   #8
Stig

There are 20mph zones on my way to work. Yes past schools. There are also speed cameras already there. I normally go down this road at sometime between 7am-7.15am. The road is a very big wide road. At that time in the morning there are hardly any vehicles on the road, visibility is very good. Easily safe enough to drive down at 40 let alone 20mph. Being booked however at double the speed limit is a license loosing offense.

I would not be surprised if those camera's have generated a princely sum of money, and nowhere near school times either.
Old 16-10-07, 08:26 AM   #9
Pedro68

Quote:
That's the biggest load of Bo||ocks I've heard in a while.

Doesn't matter whether you are in car or on a bike, we all pay our road taxes (or we all should) and so we have a right to ride any of the public highways.

Just because kids choose to ignore the rules of the road around schools doesn't mean that vehicles of ANY description should be banned from them ... as a motorist/biker (or whatever vehicle you choose to use) you should see WARNING SIGNS indicating that a school (and school children) is/are nearby, and you should adjust your speed to take that piece of information into account - otherwise you shouldn't be on ANY road. PERIOD!

Banning bikes from 20mph roads? What next?! I know, lets allow cyclists to choose to ignore traffic lights (oh some towns already seem to allow that ).

And why stop at "bikes"? Why not chav'd up Nova's/Corsa's/Clio's/etc.? "Sorry sir, but I've stopped you because you were driving in a 20mph zone with neons on and an SRi badge when this is clearly a 1.2 with a bean can, sonny" ... PMSL

Old 16-10-07, 08:29 AM   #10
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro68 View Post
That's the biggest load of Bo||ocks I've heard in a while.
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote