SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-05-09, 07:23 PM   #1
RiCousins

Thumbs up Whilst driving a car, how would I show other bikers I'm a biker too?

OK, so I may not have worded that too well. Basically, is there an equivalent to the biker nod which you can give to other bikers whilst driving your car? I sometimes just give a subtle thumbs up or the like, but they probably don't even see it and I end up feeling like a spaz in a cage giving a thumbs up to myself. Suggestions?
Old 01-05-09, 07:24 PM   #2
RiCousins

Default Re: So, is there any generally accepted way to show that other bikers that you are a biker, whilst driving a car?

I also realise that I made a complete balls-up of the topic title and can't edit it. Any mods who feel like taking the first 'that' out of the title, please go ahead
Old 01-05-09, 07:34 PM   #3
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: So, is there any generally accepted way to show that other bikers that you are a biker, whilst driving a car?

Put a "Think Bike" sticker on your back window
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 07:38 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Put a "Think Bike" sticker on your back window
I nearly got run off the road on the A303 by somebody with one of those stickers in the back window. Dont assume because theres a sticker on the window that the person behind the wheel is a biker.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 07:39 PM   #5
leesh00

I would say the things to do are the things you would want a car to do when you are riding ( if that makes sense ) : ie pulling over as far as is safe when you see a bike come behind you and when in a line of relatively slow moving traffic leave a good distance to the car in front to make overtaking easier. With these basic things bikers will generally give you an aknowlwdgement - they may or may not know you are biker yourself but hey it can only be good for karma
Old 01-05-09, 07:40 PM   #6
Rorshach

<to fizzwheel>..you met my wife then, she must of thought you were me!
Old 01-05-09, 07:40 PM   #7
xXBADGERXx

I wouldn`t make any gestures to bike riders in a car , we have enough distractions as it is .
Old 01-05-09, 07:41 PM   #8
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiCousins View Post
I end up feeling like a spaz in a cage giving a thumbs up to myself
With good reason. I agree with the think bike sticker and letting bikes past, if you want other bikers on the road to know your biker friendly.
Old 01-05-09, 07:41 PM   #9
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
I nearly got run off the road on the A303 by somebody with one of those stickers in the back window. Dont assume because theres a sticker on the window that the person behind the wheel is a biker.
Yeh true.

You coud hang your leathers up in the car. Or put your lid/gloves on the parcel shelf

Why do you want other bikers to know you have a bike?
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 07:46 PM   #10
Magnum

A THINK BIKE sticker on the back window.

Also, actually checking your mirrors is a good way of showing them,