SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-01-14, 08:32 PM   #1
bathwiggle

Default Ignition switch stuck - K8.

My garage got broken into the other night, they left the two motorbikes, took two specialized rockhoppers, and half my tools.

So having discovered this i de-alarmed the sv, stuck the key in, turned it on, moved it around and chained it to my other bike. I went to try and use the sv yesterday and can't get the key to turn at all. I've tried penetrating fluid and no luck at all. There doesn't look like there is any damage to the ignition, and as it was at the back of the garage, they'd mst likely try and take the cbr, but that was untouched.

So back to the point, any suggestions to try and get the key to turn?

I've tried to wiggle it on steering lock, i've tried the spare key, does anyone have any suggestions as this is the latest run in a long line of bad luck and i'm getting to breaking point.
Old 09-01-14, 08:40 PM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Ignition problem K8

Can you get the steering lock on & off ok?

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 08:45 PM   #3
bathwiggle

Tuesday morning i left it just off, wednesday i tried to turn it on and only managed to put it on to steering lock. I now can't even get it off steering lock.
Old 09-01-14, 08:46 PM   #4
DJ123
Mega Poster

Sounds like the pin maybe damaged which is probably causing your ignition woes.
Does moving the bar to full lock left help at all or feel like it's freeing up the steering lock?

BMW F800ST
Old 09-01-14, 08:49 PM   #5
bathwiggle

I can't notice any difference.
Old 09-01-14, 08:56 PM   #6
DJ123
Mega Poster

Is K8 the S or the N?

BMW F800ST
Old 09-01-14, 09:08 PM   #7
bathwiggle

S
Old 09-01-14, 09:10 PM   #8
DJ123
Mega Poster

I know the screws that hold the ignition barrel in aren't easy to get to on the S. It maybe worth seeing if they are accessible enough to remove the barrel and inspect the steering lock pin

BMW F800ST
Old 09-01-14, 09:15 PM   #9
bathwiggle

It'll have to wait until the people dealing with my insurance claim decide that i can have more tools then.

I thought it was bad luck when the fence came down, the tiles came off the roof and the oven broke. Then car going, his sv having this problem, and the break-in... can we have a new month now?
Old 09-01-14, 09:17 PM   #10
Nutsinatin

My bike does similar things sometimes, especially in the wet. Try squirting in some penetrating oil and work if in and out a bit with the key, if you can switch to parking mode or off so that, if not just work it in as best you can to try and remove any dirt (you'll be amazed at how much grief one tiny piece of grit can give you, even pieces so small you wouldn't even think they'd make a difference) that might be causing an issues, and to just lube it and make your life easier. Secondly try turning the key whilst pulling it towards you, if that doesn't work try pushing/pulling at different angles I have a trick barrel that will work fine for months, then suddenly seize and for the next few weeks I'll have to pull/push the key in various angles whilst twisting and it will work smoothly. My advice would also be to try and remove the steering lock and switch on the ignition in one fluid movement, this seems to help, in fact sometimes I can only turn the bike on by engaging the steering lock, then turning on in one movement, can be a real pain. Or you could be unlucky, I couldn't use my parking lights for nine months (not that I wanted to often) as I just couldn't turn the key, then all of a sudden I could. Alternatively everything I've just said could be absolutely useless as you may have some other completely different issue. A word of warning though, if someone says try using graphite powder to lube the barrel try it if you can get hold of some, just don't be tempted to use ground up pencil lead, as it contains clay and will just make your life 10x worse. Good luck, I hope it's an easy fix and you get at least some of your gear back in good nick!
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote