SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-04-10, 07:59 AM   #1
ManxMatt34

Default Usual story over here

Once again....

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Biker...oad.6235951.jp

From what i've heard (baring in mind this is a small island so everyone knows everyone as such). Sounds like the cars fault, and having seen the crash markings this morning all i can say is what a stupid place to overtake (if it was the case)...
Old 19-04-10, 08:47 AM   #2
muffles

Default Re: Usual story over here

RIP...sounds like the Impreza was overtaking the van and crashed into the bike? Is that the overtake you meant in your comment?
Old 19-04-10, 08:55 AM   #3
Owenski

You gotta start to wonder when will they reduce the speed on that road, or make it all one way. Its not a massive island so to make it one way although it might seem like a pain in the ass, it wont make your journey to work any longer than the average daily commute is here.
Old 19-04-10, 09:08 AM   #4
Captain Nemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsmatt7 View Post
You gotta start to wonder when will they reduce the speed on that road, or make it all one way. Its not a massive island so to make it one way although it might seem like a pain in the ass, it wont make your journey to work any longer than the average daily commute is here.
The IOM gov' had a referendum and the islanders decided against a reduced speed limit.

if you made the mountain one way all the time it would be a massive inconvenience for many islanders, IOM isnt like the mainland , there arent the roads to divert onto that we have, i just couldnt see that being anything that they would go for.
Old 19-04-10, 10:35 AM   #5
Owenski

Just seems a bit silly that they accept the risk been so high. Even if your taking it easy yourself, if someone else is hooning and you're in the wrong place when they make a hash of it then its lights out.
I just cant get my head round that been accepted, when it'd be so easy to reduce that risk even if the solution makes it a PITA for everyone at least it saves lives.
You've said before manx that the roads arnt dangerous its the traffic coming the other way which makes it lethal. Remove the traffic remove that risk, so what to the inconveniance this way you can keep your limitless speed.
Old 19-04-10, 10:56 AM   #6
Noble Ox

If they stick a limit on there, then there will just be even more Scooby's overtaking vans!!
Old 19-04-10, 11:34 AM   #7
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Quote:
I was pondering about this the other day - recuded speed limit on the IOM would prolly do some damage to the tourist trade brought by bikers all year round but there are other angles to consider..

As for making it one way, the mountain road seemed to be quite secluded in places with only one or two little side roads leading off over the 7 mile stretch - it's not really the sort of road they could make 'one way' without messing up the traffic in the surround areas...

I thought it was a great road & fairly easy to ride (I ride like a girl) but could see how people could easily end up out of their depth if they pushed too hard.

Sad news all the same though

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-10, 12:19 PM   #8
malks

ive never been to the IoM only seen it on tv etc... but when ive heard people suggest a one way system i always wonder would that not potentially make it worse. i mean would it be classed as a wide single carriageway, or would it be a dual carriageway? would you then get people overtaking on bends etc, when the vehicle being over taken suddenly decides to cut the corner themselves.

i dont really know what the solution would be. how many accidents/deaths are there on the island in comparrison to say normal 'classic' biker roads like the cat and fiddle?
Old 19-04-10, 01:49 PM   #9
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Surely that's about as sensible as enforcing a no overtaking rule (i.e. not very)

It would just make it more of a racetrack
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-10, 01:57 PM   #10
Ed

What is the speed limit on IoM