SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-05-09, 03:39 AM   #1
L3nny
Mega Poster

Default Square rear tyre

I have done about 5000 miles on my bike now and the rear tyre still had plenty of grip but has gone squarer then Spongebob's pants.

I still have the standard Dunlops on.

Do I need to replace the tyre or will a bit of spirited conering eaven it out?

If I do need to replace can anyone reccomend a "touring" type tyre as I am obviously not needing a sporty one.

5000 Miles doesn't seem like a lot, is this normal?

Cheers
Old 26-05-09, 04:32 AM   #2
Jamiebridges123

Default Re: Square rear tyre

If you take it on a trackday you could round it off....

5000 miles is about average for a set of motorcycle tyres... even a Supersports tyre will last 3500 miles or more, it depends how you wear it... Obviously if all you do is commute then it'll square of quickly and after 1800 miles it may be more like a hexagon...

Tbh if I got 5000 out of my tyre and I commuted alot (which I guess I kinda do) i'd be very happy...

It's almost impossible to find a "touring" tyre as most are now dual compound.. buy some Dunlop Roadsmarts.
Old 26-05-09, 05:01 AM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiebridges123 View Post
It's almost impossible to find a "touring" tyre as most are now dual compound.. buy some Dunlop Roadsmarts.

impossible to find Dunlop Roadsmarts S/T are touring tyres; they can have duel compound as well, but wouldn't be my choice.

If it's just your rear, then either live with it until the front needs changing or bite the bullet and get a set, either way make sure the stickiest is on the front, the standard D220's are fairly limited but OK for what they are.

Having used several sets of each, I'd be looking at either
Mez Z6's,
diablo strada's
Avon storms
and with care you could well double that mileage, any of the above will be much better than the D220's you currently have and are sport touring tyres.

Read some of the reviews in the tyre section (which is what it's for).

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-09, 05:07 AM   #4
L3nny
Mega Poster

Just had a look in the Tyres section, cheers.

Seen Diablo Stradas on Black Circles for £75 rear and £62 front.

Is this a good price?
Old 26-05-09, 05:16 AM   #5
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
Just had a look in the Tyres section, cheers.

Seen Diablo Stradas on Black Circles for £75 rear and £62 front.

Is this a good price?
Yeah that's pretty good, and will be a whole lot better than your D220's that's for sure.

FYI, the Strada's and Z6 come from the same factory and are basically the same tyre so feel free to interchange them, I found the Strada front and Z6 rear worked best for me, but from your position a set the same is probably wisest.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Old 26-05-09, 05:16 AM   #6
ThEGr33k

Why wouldnt you use roadsmarts Rictus?
Old 26-05-09, 05:26 AM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
Why wouldnt you use roadsmarts Rictus?
Having ridden a couple of bikes on them (although never fitted to my own I will admit, but must be 300 miles or so), I'm not keen on the drop-in on corners and the feedback (a very personnel thing I know) isn't to my taste either.

However from the OP's perspective (currently on OEM D220's) I'd take it he has limited tyre experiance, so a more linier handling tyre would probably suit better, the three I mentioned all fit the bill, I could have added conti road attacks to I guess, but I've only done about 100 miles on those (which didn't throw up any issues; I might add).

Cheers Mark.
Old 26-05-09, 05:30 AM   #8
L3nny
Mega Poster

You'd be right rictus, the SV is my first proper bike (not sure you can even call a TSX 50 a bike) and I know nothing about tyres. I also know nothing about going fast round corners which can easily be seen by looking at humungus chicken strips still left on the back.

I don't commute on the bike and I don't ride in the rain if I can help it so sports tyres could be a possibility. Was just trying to get the best value as I don't really need super sticky track tyres that last 5 minutes.
Old 26-05-09, 05:37 AM   #9
rictus01
Mega Poster

Well none of the tyres I've mentioned are super sticky one's, but are a whole lot better than you'll need, you'll feel the benefits straight away, and will get good mileage out of them, the SV doesn't have the best of suspension anyway, so anything more sporty would be a waste currently, unless you only want to "talk about tyres down the pub" ....

I currently have Conti sports on the Speed 4 ( which has fully adjustable sports bike suspension), but once they are gone, I'll be looking to replace them with Sport touring rubber, as apart from track days, you won't find the difference on the road, but will in the pocket.

Cheers Mark.

Last edited by rictus01; 26-05-09 at 05:41 AM.
Old 26-05-09, 06:27 AM   #10
ThEGr33k

Think I might go for Pilot Powers next to be honest. They get reasonable mileage. Either that or Pilot power front Pilot Road 2 back.