SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-11-07, 09:19 AM   #1
Kyytsis

Default Fixing Fairings

Found a pair of 2002 SV lower fairings (or cowls?) from Germany - they are from a bike that seems to have had "a final touch down" on left side, thus they need some work. From the pictures I got there is nothing missing, just deep scrapes.

And they are blue and my SV is red... I have the whole dark winter to try sort them out. I was thinking of following workflow:
1. clean
2. sand them to mat surface
3. plastic padding to scrapes
4. more sanding
5. primer
6. more sanding
7. primer again
8. red color

I've managed to hide some scars from my gilfrieds China 50cc moped once it got stolen and crashed, but for this I'm aiming to upgrade the quality. Any advices?

There are not many fully faired SV's here, so I'm looking forward on getting these on
Old 02-11-07, 09:47 AM   #2
Mike2165

Default Re: Fixing Fairings

9. lacquer.
10. Rubbing compound to eliminate paint defects
11. T - cut for shiny finish
12. Polish
13. Cup of tea cause it's hard work, but worth it.

Good luck Kyytsis, it will look great when it's done.
Old 02-11-07, 01:32 PM   #3
OldBoy

And don't forget the photos
Old 03-11-07, 02:08 PM   #4
Kyytsis

Thanks - I'm expecting the plastics to arrive next week - can't wait.

It's snowing...
Old 03-11-07, 02:10 PM   #5
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Snowing?

I like snow

To look at, for about a day

Good luck with your winter project

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-07, 07:51 PM   #6
Kyytsis

Got the fairings today. I was just leaving to a seminar and there was mr. postman behind the door with a big packet. Joy Joy, almost like xmas. Nearly missed my presentation because I had to open it and see what I got.

The left side is very good, only thing I found broken was the mouning point to right side cowl - cracked. The missing piece was attached to the cowl by tape.

The right side has taken a hard hit. It seems that it has slided on the side for some distance, as the the plastic is "burned" through. There is a piece missing in the center and some deeeeep scrapes. So some more work to do, but I have 5 months to do it, so should be able...

The right cowl is also cracked - I'm now trying to fix it by melting the plastic with asetone. One friend said that it is a great way to do it as the plasting will be then as strong as original. Worth a shot anyway. Then I was thinking of getting some decent plastic kit from which to do the missing piece. Probably using glassfibre wouldn't stick?

Any advice, the missing bit is my main concern, the cracks I can 'glue' from the back side...

And then I'd need the mounting kit... Probably that can be gotten from a Suzuki dealer?

Pictures will follow.
Old 15-11-07, 08:25 AM   #7
petevtwin650

[quote=Kyytsis;1340809]

And then I'd need the mounting kit... Probably that can be gotten from a Suzuki dealer?

quote]

Certainly in the Uk you can

Check here.

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=100110
Old 15-11-07, 10:33 AM   #8
Al_Sweetman

Are there any cracks?

If so, you can get fiberglass matting/mapping (??) from Halfords, along with resin, and it does a brilliant job of holding the faring together....
Old 15-11-07, 11:48 AM   #9
Kyytsis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Sweetman View Post
Are there any cracks?

If so, you can get fiberglass matting/mapping (??) from Halfords, along with resin, and it does a brilliant job of holding the faring together....
There sure are - trying to cure them first with asetone and by poking them with a soldering iron. Probably I'll reinforce it from the backside with FG matt... I thought i'd paint it matt black from the inside... To hide the damage fixing.
Old 15-11-07, 01:53 PM   #10
Al_Sweetman

Quote:
... I thought i'd paint it matt black from the inside... To hide the damage fixing.

Good luck disguising Easiest way would be to put underseal/bitumen based paint around and say you're making it waterproof