SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-01-06, 03:57 PM   #1
bobw

Default Fan on temp

Howdy,

Anyone know off hand what engine temp the fan should kick on at? I've just replaced a radiator on a K3 and filled it up with coolant and left it running to see if the fan was ok but it wasn't coming on. I let it run until about 106 degrees.

Anyone any ideas?

Ceers,
Rob.
Old 29-01-06, 03:59 PM   #2
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Have you bridged the temp sensor to see if the fan comes on?
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-06, 04:16 PM   #3
si-dall

Default Re: Fan on temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw
Howdy,

Anyone know off hand what engine temp the fan should kick on at? I've just replaced a radiator on a K3 and filled it up with coolant and left it running to see if the fan was ok but it wasn't coming on. I let it run until about 106 degrees.

Anyone any ideas?

Ceers,
Rob.
according to the sv service manual (downloadable from the site) the fan goes on at 98 deg C.
Old 29-01-06, 04:22 PM   #4
Brucey

Have you burped the system as you could well have an air pocket around the sensor which means it wont work as it should.
Old 29-01-06, 05:10 PM   #5
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey
Have you burped the system as you could well have an air pocket around the sensor which means it wont work as it should.
Indeed two good answers there. First thing would be to bridge the connections and make sure that the fan is actually working. If it is, then "burp" i.e bleed the system to make sure you have no air in the system. Air in the system will mean that the water is not circulating. This would mean that water round the engine gets hot giving you the temperature reading, but no hot water is getting to the fan switch so it wouldn't activate. Or something like that.
Old 29-01-06, 05:27 PM   #6
bobw

Cheers for the replies! Yup I bridged the temp sensor and the fan works no problems. How exactly do I burp the coolant system? There's definitely enough coolant in the system, it's up just underneath the filler cap (its a naked sv so no separate coolant resevoir).

Again cheers for the help!
Rob.
Old 29-01-06, 05:35 PM   #7
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Little screw on the water pump.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-08, 10:42 AM   #8
joeheaven

I have the same problem. Bought second hand temp sensor from ebay and still no joy. Works fine when I bridge it. I will try 'burping' tonight. Anyone know where to find cheap new temp sensors!? Suzuki are ripping us off at £40 a go.

Any other hints on this?
Old 27-06-08, 10:45 AM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

The naked one does have a coolant reservoir. I've found just running it (cold) for a few seconds with the cap off gets all the air out, also rock it from side to side a bit.
Old 27-06-08, 02:14 PM   #10
tomjones2

I don't think that my fan used to come on until the engine was over 100, the only time it ever came on in this country from memory was riding round London on a hot day. 106 does sound like it should be on though.