SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-08-07, 05:53 AM   #1
mosius

Default Clutch Not Fully Disengaging

I was doing some periodic maintence on my '04 SV 650 which involved adjusting the clutch such that there was the right amount of play in there. I had the bike up on my trackstand so the rear wheel was free to rotate.

When I was in neutral the bike acted as I expected: the rear wheel did not rotate when the engine was running. But when I shifted to first the back wheel began to rotate even though I had the clutch lever fully pulled in to the grip.

I tried to adjust the various clutch setpoints to their extremes, but no matter what I did I always got wheel movement. Is this normal? I never have any problems with feeling like the bike is pulling me or trying to roll away or not braking, but it just seems weird. I thought it might have something to do with the "wet clutch" bikes have. Does that make sense?
Old 25-08-07, 06:24 AM   #2
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Default Re: Clutch Not Fully Disengaging

Good morning.
On most bikes, particularly when cold the rear wheel will rotate slowly even when in neutral with the engine running. This is due to oil drag between the clutch plates. This is quite normal, so providing you don't have any problems selecting neutral when stationary with the wheels on the ground it's nothing to worry about.

Cheers.