SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-10-15, 12:57 PM   #1
Tommo1988

Default Rear Shock advice please

Hi people. I know this topic has been flogged to within an inch of it life but . . . . . iv searched through the threads and found lots of good information but not specific to me.

I have a 2005 SV650s, I am 6ft2 (if thats even needed) and weigh 190lbs (13.5 St).

Im not lookoing to buy a brand new race spec super crazy gucci rear shock. All I would like is spomething that i can adjust to the way i ride.

Im not a track basher, im not a knee down every corner kind of guy. Im just after something a bit stiffer than the rear OEM shock i have.

Many thanks. Tommo
Old 26-10-15, 01:12 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Rear Shock advice please

Without paying silly money, i found a Hagon shock has done me well.

You can get gixxer or zx shocks that will fit, but require cutting the battery box.

I saw a basic Maxton shock on Ebay the other week, which was also going for sensible money
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-15, 01:22 PM   #3
Typhon219

I've just been researching this a bit before I changed mine. Check the stock rear shock length (330mm for curvy). you would need to find one the same, or similar length. You can google that and get some good hits. I think the shock I went for was a little shorter but I have the preload high which has lifted it.

I'd expect to cut the battery box but it's not too hard so nothing to worry about. The problem getting them to fit is the reservoir as the sv shock doesn't have one. You'll struggle to get a shock with a high reservoir to fit. I think the zx10 shock has one in a decent spot which could be good. zx6r shocks are popular.
Typhon219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-15, 01:24 PM   #4
Typhon219

some good advice on different weights, and links to other threads here:
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=219526
Typhon219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-15, 02:47 PM   #5
Corny Gizmo

I got a GSXR 750 shock off here for 70 quids, improved yes but not a massive difference.

I didnt realise at the time but its shorter than the stock shock, make sure you dont make the same mistake, thankfully like above the preload has kind of balanced the difference. Basically it doesnt sag half as much as the stock one.
Old 27-10-15, 10:06 AM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

One of the later zx6r's is very very good, right spring rate and length spot on at around 340mm... the extra height does help. Definitely helps anti squat and suspect it keeps linkage working in more linear zone of it's travel but can't prove that second bit.

Shock you want I think is 09-10 something like that

Think that gives 510lbs/in spring which is about right for 14 stone rider and will be much better than stock for a heavier one

Last edited by yorkie_chris; 27-10-15 at 10:16 AM.
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-15, 01:36 PM   #7
Tommo1988

cheers for the gen lads ill get searching ebay and salvage yards.