SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-08-09, 05:14 PM   #1
etuna

Default BMW finance an option, hmmmmm...

have been thinking about getting a new bike for ages but due to location in central London (albeit in a nice area) insurance is crazy at 32 with 1YNCB.

eg I put a deposit on a KTM950SM (Grp 13) recently but pulled out due to £800FC&£750XS insurance (that was the cheapest quote ANYWHERE boys and girls so dont say shop around!)

Anyway - BMW offer insurance on the F800GS for £250&250XS and using Select Finance can put down deposit of £800 then pay 36 x £119 then lump sum, give bike back or swap for brand new bike. It isnt HP so no commitment to buy.

I could afford to buy a bike outright but insurance is so crazy, this may be an alternative for a bike I really want..... What do you think? Apparently 390 out of 400 M3s bought in UK were paid for like this last year!

Last edited by etuna; 01-08-09 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-08-09, 05:23 PM   #2
Amplimator

Default Re: BMW finance an option......hmmmmm

i s'pose its true that if your bike is parked in a row of bikes in london the BMW is the least likely to get nicked....hence the cheap insurance from them

seriously tho i do actually like the F800GS and looks like a fair deal there, tho id push a lil for a few extras and check what the insurance actually covers (roadside assistance?/breakdown? etc)
Old 01-08-09, 05:27 PM   #3
etuna

its cheap as it is BMW insurance..... which is very comprehensive
Old 01-08-09, 06:38 PM   #4
Nick_69

Sounds a good deal if you ask me, especialy if you like the bike and would of though bout getting it anyway

Now GSXR 600 K9
Nick_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 06:26 PM   #5
Bluefish

Dose the insurance carry on after year one or would you have to then get insurance elsewhere?.
Old 02-08-09, 06:54 PM   #6
etuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefishman View Post
Dose the insurance carry on after year one or would you have to then get insurance elsewhere?.
good point - however it is not in conjunction with the finance and applies to sencond hand bikes too.
Old 02-08-09, 07:32 PM   #7
theshed

what you are basically doing is leasing the bike a lot of cars are sold this way and personally i think it is an expensive way of doing things there will more than likely be mileage and other things like service all written into the agreement so think to yourself do you want a long term hire agreement cause at the end of it you still have to buy a second hand bike or what they want take out another long term hire agreement.
all im saying is way up all the fact first and make sure it is right for you
Old 02-08-09, 08:02 PM   #8
etuna

On reflection it isn't a particualry astute way of buying a bike. However, buying a second hand one and using their official insurance service is.
Old 03-08-09, 08:53 AM   #9
Kinvig

Default Re: BMW finance an option, hmmmmm...

From experience I wouldn't buy another BMW bike.

Nothing was simple/easy/straightforward to replace on the Dakar i.e. Changing the oil required draining oil from 3 separate areas, which required taking off lots of trim/plastics and remembering where you put all the screws.

To replace th headlight, by the manual, required removing lots of trim/plastics & the dash board-thing.

The sparks were fiddly too.

The air filter was easy as that only required the removal of 1 piece of plasitc & the front indicator.

Another consideration was that bike was more expensive than similar alternatives (i.e. Yamaha 660) and replacement parts were similarily slightly more expensive.
Old 05-08-09, 09:29 AM   #10
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default Re: BMW finance an option, hmmmmm...

Your comments on the Dakar made me laugh, as my husband has one and you are right, it would be easier to do a bit of tinkering on the space shuttle. Try having a BMW car - just to open the bonnet and take a sharp intake of breath the dealer charges about £500.
Littlepeahead is offline   Reply With Quote