SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-08-16, 05:48 PM   #1
Blapper

Default Top yokes.com problem

Hi Guys, I have a question of anybody who has fitted a topyokes.com kit to a SV650S curvy (2001).

The original top yoke is 25mm thick where the stem passes through it but the topyokes.com version is only 15mm thick therefore does not fit so please tell me: If yours was the same thickness as the original (25mm) at the stem hole or did your kit have a spacer (10mm) to take up the difference?

I'm asking here because I am not getting any response at all from Matt.

All help appreciated.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-16, 06:06 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Top yokes.com problem

the heights at the top of the forks should be the same level as the yoke top once the new yoke has been put on.

i take it there is not enough thread on the stem to tighten down the top nut?

there should be a castellated locking nut then the yoke then a washer then the top nut.

Matt might be on holiday.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-16, 08:14 AM   #3
Blapper

Hi Bibio, thanks for your reply.

The bike is in unadulterated stock condition, when I bought it there were no deviations from standard other than a double-bubble screen. The top yoke assembly is 100% correct.

As I said, the thickness of the standard yoke is 25mm at the stem hole, and the cnc version is 15mm. There is no thread to accommodate this difference and even if there was, I would lose the tank prop facility as the stem top nut has a maximum depth that only just accommodates the standard set-up. That is apart from the fact that it would look like a bodge if it were supposed to be fitted like that. The yoke should be made from 25mm billet not 15mm.

All this could be resolved if Matt replied to texts or voicemails. AFAIK he is not the only person in the firm, there is at least one other so even a basic level of customer service should be achievable even if he were on holiday again. He was on holiday when I was chasing delivery which went from 48hr despatch to around three weeks. and that was only 19th July.
Old 16-08-16, 12:11 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

is the ignition position at the middle top of the yoke?

best way to contact Matt is to send an email.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-16, 01:25 PM   #5
Blapper

Yes the ign switch is in the standard position as asked for.

I'll try an email then, thanks. Fingers crossed!
Old 16-08-16, 05:48 PM   #6
DuncanC

I had a spacer ring in my kit. It fitted under the top yoke so it all lined up as it should.
Old 16-08-16, 07:18 PM   #7
Blapper

That is what I wanted to hear Duncan, thanks very much. Incidentally, how does your tank prop work now that you have the yoke fitted?
Old 16-08-16, 09:47 PM   #8
DuncanC

I just pop the end of the prop into the top of one of the tank bolt holes. It is a bit wobbly but it works OK. The big issue is wiggling the tank about to get the mounting lugs past the top yoke. It is doable but a bit of a faf especially with a full tank.
Old 17-08-16, 07:00 AM   #9
Blapper

Oh, OK, I realised the original tank bolt holes are available, but you can't get the prop in the stem top nut hole can you? I hadn't yet found the problem passing the yoke with the tank lugs either.
Old 17-08-16, 07:26 AM   #10
tom_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanC View Post
I just pop the end of the prop into the top of one of the tank bolt holes. It is a bit wobbly but it works OK. The big issue is wiggling the tank about to get the mounting lugs past the top yoke. It is doable but a bit of a faf especially with a full tank.
This is how I used my tank prop on my standard bike until I had a "Stop being such a spanner" moment and figured out how it was supposed to work
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote