SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-08-07, 10:05 PM   #1
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Default Measles

I've just read this comment in the news, since they are getting in a flap about kids getting measles:

Measles, which can be life threatening and cause severe disabilities, is most common among children aged one to four who have not been immunised

Now, my memory as a kid in the early 60's, and confirmed by my parents, is that you had to get measles asap, you were sent round to play with a spotty kid until you caught it. It certainly wasn't life threatening back in them days, just a week off with spots and lucazade.
Has measles become well hard in the last 40 years, or is it due to modern kids not eating dirt and worms anymore and having rubbish immune systems?
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-07, 10:09 PM   #2
the_runt69

Default Re: Measles

Measles is OK when your a kid, its when you get it in later life its in the life threatening/damaging strain
Old 30-08-07, 10:13 PM   #3
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw View Post
I've just read this comment in the news, since they are getting in a flap about kids getting measles:

Measles, which can be life threatening and cause severe disabilities, is most common among children aged one to four who have not been immunised

Now, my memory as a kid in the early 60's, and confirmed by my parents, is that you had to get measles asap, you were sent round to play with a spotty kid until you caught it. It certainly wasn't life threatening back in them days, just a week off with spots and lucazade.
Has measles become well hard in the last 40 years, or is it due to modern kids not eating dirt and worms anymore and having rubbish immune systems?
I had measels very badly when I was 8..................damn near blinded me, and affected my inner ears very badly. I've had to wear glasses ever since, and can't wear earplugs. That was the more evil 'measels' though, not German measels which is a much milder form of the disease, but still unpleasant.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-07, 10:14 PM   #4
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Yes we still send our kids round to play with a spotty kid!! Measles is bad very bad...to those kids who don't get immunised. Most people think it isn't bad because most kids are immunised and the attacks aren't life threatening....I think parents that don't get their children immunisd play a very dangerous game with there childs life.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-07, 10:16 PM   #5
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
I think parents that don't get their children immunisd play a very dangerous game with there childs life.
I concur
Old 30-08-07, 10:23 PM   #6
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

I didn't have my daughter immunised against whooping cough, as at the time there were suggestions that it could cause problems if there was a possibility of the child inheriting epilepsy. As Rebecca's Dad was epileptic, I didn't take the risk.

She got whooping cough. I then understood why the Chinese called it the 100day cough. I think I slept even less than she did until she got over it. I didn't even think twice when it came time for her to have the MMR.............I wasn't putting her through anything again that could be prevented.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-07, 02:41 AM   #7
melody

As brilliant as modern day medicine is, it can be quite confusing for parents. It seems for every research carried out, there's always another that contradicts it. Parents nowadays have access to a lot of information in helping them to make decisions, unlike in the past, where they 'did as they were told'.

Too much information can be confusing and misleading and parents are making what they hope are good decisions for their children, when infact sometimes, its the exact opposite.

Personally, I think if there's a vaccine, get it.

Measles can be extremely unpleasant.
Old 31-08-07, 05:39 AM   #8
scarlett

Despite being immunised against them, my eldest son got measles 12 years ago when he was 9. The doctors made quite a fuss about it, and fetched some of their colleagues in to have look, cos you rarely see it nowadays cos of the immunisations.

Last edited by scarlett; 01-09-07 at 06:20 PM.
Old 31-08-07, 09:13 AM   #9
gettin2dizzy

You not thinking of chicken pox? Measles is pretty nasty!
Old 31-08-07, 09:19 AM   #10
Fizzy Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
I had measels very badly when I was 8..................damn near blinded me, and affected my inner ears very badly. I've had to wear glasses ever since, and can't wear earplugs. That was the more evil 'measels' though, not German measels which is a much milder form of the disease, but still unpleasant.
i was also really ill with measles when i was 4 - had hallucinations and everything, and hey i know some people pay good money for that but it wasn't nice at the time! may also have had something to do with my eyesight, but they never managed to establish for sure

oh and Tigersaw - i did eat lots of mud so i say take the vaccine, the mud doesn't work