SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-07-08, 05:36 PM   #1
Philbo

Default Stomp Grip help

Hi!
Just about to fit a set of stomp grips to my gixer, and am looking for any handy hints and tips. Instructions make it sound like you only get one go at fitting them, which makes me a wee bit anxoius.

Instructions also make a big deal about the tank being clean and not having any residues or the like on the tank. Does that include good old Auto glym polish/wax? If so, how do I get the stuff off, and how do I know the tanks free of wax?

Any help or comments appreciated!
Old 06-07-08, 05:44 PM   #2
MR UKI (1)

Default Re: Stomp Grip help

Can't help with the fitting, mine had it on when i bought it, but watch where you park in relation to the sun, cos one side of mine has moved down the tank about 2 inches this weekend and left a minging glue residue which is hard to shift. On the plus side, the stomp grip is good though!
Old 06-07-08, 06:33 PM   #3
Razor

I used some foaming de-greaser to prep before hand, mild stuff won't attack the paint like thinners.
Old 06-07-08, 06:52 PM   #4
Philbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I used some foaming de-greaser to prep before hand, mild stuff won't attack the paint like thinners.
Would that remove the polish/wax? Is it worth worrying about trying to remove the polish/wax?
Old 06-07-08, 10:23 PM   #5
Razor

I dunno, I've never used wax on my bike.
Old 06-07-08, 11:39 PM   #6
lukemillar
Mega Poster

I've fitted 3 sets now! My advice for longevity and non-slippage would be:

- Remove the tank and take it inside. Makes it much easier to work and you are far more likely to take your time if you're not playing contortionist doing it at the side of you bike. (also helps if you haven't filled up for a while!)

- Clean the area well with soap and water, dry well and finish off with the wipe they give you

- Heat up the side of the tank with a hairdryer and then the grip. Get them both nice and toasty. Be a little careful with heating the grip as if you go too far then the glue will stick to the backing paper and separate from the grip.

- Then just work it very slowly so you don't get any bubbles. Once the whole grip is one - heat up the area again with a hairdryer and then leave it for 24 hours (at least overnight) before riding

Take your time and it will look great; rush it and it will look sh!te !
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 01:57 PM   #7
jumjum_0214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I dunno, I've never used wax on my bike.
Thud........... jumjum passes out at the thought of never polishing a bike!
Old 08-07-08, 11:36 AM   #8
Philbo

Anyone tried the soapy water method of application for Stomp grips? Sounds a bit dubious to me...
Old 08-07-08, 09:28 PM   #9
StreetHawk

I fitted mine and they looked sh1te! Air bubbles everywhere... So I peeled em off and did it again, this time they went on properly. Just remember to do a little bit at a time slowly pushing the air out as go along..
Old 09-07-08, 10:02 PM   #10
Philbo

Took them off and re-fitted them eh? Might try that, as they are now fitted and look bl**dy terrible. All squint and full of bubbles. How did you take them off? How long between your first fitting and re-fitting? Did you do the soapy water thing or just fit them dry?

Cheers Hawk!