SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-01-12, 11:48 PM   #1
EssexDave

Default Studying

Just curious as to what people think of learning new things, whether it be formally studying or just a casual curiosity in a subject.
Old 22-01-12, 01:02 AM   #2
MR UKI (1)

Default Re: Studying

Currently studying for a Diploma in Financial Advice. Fully funded by the company I work for with a tutor for 3 hours once a week for 8 weeks. Can be a bit of a pain sometimes when you've worked all day and then have 3 hours studying until 7pm, but if an organisation is willing to fund it, it is something pertinent to my role and probably allows for salary increase at the end of it (either in current place or elsewhere) IMO it would be silly not to take advantage. Knowledge is power and all that jazz

Oh and I do find the subject strangely interesting, which helps a little

Last edited by MR UKI (1); 22-01-12 at 01:03 AM.
Old 22-01-12, 01:14 AM   #3
robh539

Yeah deffo, i am starting a degree in march in psychology with OU. I was at night school last year for a short course too for fun.
If you fancy it go for it, its always good to further yourself. Like Mr UKI says do something you like or want to do.
Old 22-01-12, 01:28 AM   #4
EssexDave

I hav always studied a lot but recently it's become quite bad. I'm doing chartered accountancy exams, a masters in business administration and looking at law degrees and thinking I'd like an economics degree too.

I'm lucky in that I absorb knowledge but the cost is phenomenal.
Old 22-01-12, 03:08 AM   #5
MisterTommyH

Further study is fine if it gets you where you want.....don't necessarily agree with it just for the sake of it.

For example I could go on and do my masters (in fact I've tried to start on a part time basis) but in reality it just gets in the way of progressing based on actual experience. I can actually learn more by doing the job. And although it would help get to get eligibility for Chartership faster, truth is I wouldn't be able to pass the exam if I took it at the moment because it needs a certain number of years in post to gain the experience.

No problem with studying for personal gain either if that's what you want. I've often thought about going back and doing an A level that they wouldn't let me take at school due to timetable clashes...just haven't got round to it yet.
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-12, 10:07 AM   #6
Bri w

I enjoy studying. I've studied things like A-Level Geography & Geology even though they have no relevance to my job. Studied Italian. A degree in business studies. English Lit. History, lots of.

Just about to start the service manual for a Rolls Royce Merlin engine.

Our TV seems to get stuck on EmmerCorrieEnders, so the choice is watch it or do something else.I choose something else.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-12, 10:21 AM   #7
EssexDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri w View Post
Our TV seems to get stuck on EmmerCorrieEnders

I feel for you.
Old 22-01-12, 10:48 AM   #8
-Ralph-

Hate studying, starting a new task not having a clue what I'm doing I love. Unfortunately sometimes studying is necessary, but I'm very much a kinetic learner, and prefer to learn on the job.
Old 22-01-12, 11:37 AM   #9
carpet monster

I did a short OU course and found it very hard going. The subject matter was interesting (Photography) I just don't have the aptitude to sit down and learn something.
Old 22-01-12, 12:00 PM   #10
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexDave View Post
Just curious as to what people think of learning new things, whether it be formally studying or just a casual curiosity in a subject.
If I had the time I'd go for it. Started an open uni course but work got in the way
Really inflexible nazi's the OU lot, pretty much the opposite of how they portray themselves!

Last edited by Dave20046; 22-01-12 at 12:02 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote