SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-08-05, 10:13 PM   #1
maddogsmithuk

Default Excellent Luggage solution

Check out Suzuki's website where I got this idea. Get a secondhand rear seat and a Givi simply Top Box with mounting plate. Mount the plate to rear seat with 4 or 5 bolts using big washers on the underside for support. Make sure you mount the plate far enough forward so as the box does not foul the grab rail, ideal for those trips to the shops, weekends away or just somewhere to lock your helmet etc when you stop. Suzuki option about £200 quid and no dealers stock it. My way secondhand seat £35 to £70, top box from about £45 depending on size, I've got a 45 litre costing £79.99. Doing a 400 mile trip this bank holiday weekend, can't wait.
Old 26-08-05, 11:34 PM   #2
falc

Interesting way of doing it. Nice one
Old 27-08-05, 10:45 AM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

I see you are a new contributer to the forum so I will give you the benifit of the doubt.

A top box is simply Wrong!
Old 27-08-05, 10:48 AM   #4
lynw

Ignore those who say topboxes are wrong. Theyre wrong.

Or they dont need the facility for secure, waterproof containers to keep clothes dry, store stuff when touring, etc etc.

I have a monrack with a givi box on mine btw. And its referred to and used as a coffee table in the soho meets because its so damn useful
Old 27-08-05, 12:23 PM   #5
Haircut

The bottom line is Topboxes are cool and you know it

. . . and the bigger the better
Haircut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-05, 03:26 PM   #6
Diveboy

I can see why people would want a top box. The OP's idea is a very good one. I have never used one and can only imagine it would spoil my ride
Old 27-08-05, 07:45 PM   #7
maddogsmithuk

So many replies, No1 yes I am a new contributer but I have been riding for 20 years and worked in the bike trade for 15 years. The box on the rear seat is great for those trips away and does not effect the handling at all it is like having a very light pillion that you do not notice it is there. It is right behind you so does not catch the wind or cause the bike to weave at speed or when on the back wheel (notice the scooter on the back wheel in the picture not anyone can do that you know). But when out having normal fun without the box there is no ugly rack just a sleek rear end in front of you.
Old 27-08-05, 08:02 PM   #8
didge

so with this idear do you take the padding out of the seat and then put the box on or jsut drill strate thru the padding?
Old 27-08-05, 08:05 PM   #9
maddogsmithuk

Just drill staight through 1 hole in each corner and 1 in the middle. Bolt it up to squash the padding, but not too tight as this distorts the base and makes it hard to lock down as i found out the first time round.
Old 27-08-05, 08:56 PM   #10
didge

lol did you have to buy 2 seats then after you ballsed it up the 1st time