SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-04-08, 08:54 PM   #1
xbox650

Default Tenerife!

Hello all

Although I have been to tenerife about 8 times I have never been while having a bike lisence . I have only ever stayed in Las Americas and am looking for somewhere different and a lot quieter . You see , this time I am taking my three year old son aswell and although las americas has lots to do it is also a bit too much for him i think . I dont want to stay in Los Christanos as that is just the same now anyway .We will be hiring a car for a few days so we can visit the aquapark and teide , maybe pop to santa cruz aswell .
A major factor for me is to have good access to the mountains and roads as I want to hire a bike whilst out there . As long as there is a few shops and restaurants and a beach my mrs and son will be happy .
So if anyone can offer advice on how to find my dream on tenerife I will greatfully appriciate it .
Things like bike hire , cottage rental , secluded coves and beach front towns with maybe a good route to ride in one day aswell .

PS any photos of the mountains and forest with the roads on will help as will any of any suggested location .

Many thanks
Old 23-04-08, 09:29 PM   #2
rob13

Default Re: Tenerife!

Why go to Tenerife? Ive been there and didnt like it. If you want somewhere thats untouched but you can get out into the mountains (on dirt track roads on dirt bikes or even dune buggys) then get yourself to the Greek isle of Skiathos. Its quite a small island so you can thoroughly explore it but its fantastic in that its like the Med probably was 30years ago but cosmopolitan without being chavvy. I never saw one while I was there and the food selection was amazing.
Old 24-04-08, 05:59 AM   #3
Jdubya

We stayed at the Golf Del Sur when we out there last year. There are many roads heading to and from the mountains and if you're taking your 3yr-old, I can highly recommend a visit to Loro Park...very touristy but well worth it for a full day out. I dont know too much about bike hire but some of the roads are awesome. If you're looking for somewhere quiet to stay then definately stay away from Las Americas and Los Christianos...
We found the north of the island to be quieter but also a few degrees cooler.

HTH
Old 24-04-08, 07:16 AM   #4
kitkat

there are some cracking roads in Gran Canaria, we hired a car and drove round for a day. loads of people live in caves.
Old 24-04-08, 07:40 AM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

Look at Los Giganties(sp?) Its just up the road from Americas, but has a lot more of a chilled out vibe. Or try the north of the island, however, the weather always seems less sunny than the south. I drove a lot round tenerife and to be honest, i dont think the sort of roads exist out there. Some of their main roads could pass as dirt tracks!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-08, 08:07 AM   #6
Reckless Rat

Some superb roads over the crater, and round the coast.
Don't go falling off though as the volcanic scenery is very, very sharp. and very hard!

RR
Old 24-04-08, 12:27 PM   #7
Jdubya

Yep, agree with Viney, Los Gigantes is nice and quiet. The roads however were of a similar and sometimes better standard than back here in blighty...especially so around Teide and certainly heading toward Teide from the south of the island. I would love to go back and hire a bike...maybe next time I'm over there.
Enjoy though!
Old 24-04-08, 07:41 PM   #8
xbox650

thanks for the advice guys . keep it coming .
I like the sound of Los Gigantes so I think I will be researching it tonight.