SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-01-07, 07:06 PM   #1
gazman

Default shall i pop my euro cherry?

Hi guys,

I’m after some opinions please: My girlfriend has got an interview a university in Paris on February 3rd, she’s making a weekend end of it, leaving for there on the Friday & coming back on the Sunday. She’ll be travelling by Eurostar.

On first thoughts this seems like the ideal opportunity to pop my Euro cherry on the SV. But taking into account the weather forecast for the end of January, the fact I’ll be on my own (biking wise) & never been abroad on the bike before, & the nutty Parisian drivers. Is this a good idea? I would value your views on this matter.

Cheers.

Gaz
Old 08-01-07, 07:20 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Pop Euro Cherry?
I hear Amsterdam is best for that sort of thing.

Coat.
Old 08-01-07, 07:36 PM   #3
Jdubya

TBH I would do the eurostar option and pop the bike cherry in the spring to roads far less crowded with parisians.
But thats just my opinion
Old 08-01-07, 07:42 PM   #4
the white rabbit

I'd just enjoy a relaxing one and leave it in feb, IMO. If your in Kent theres lots of other opportunities to nip accross when there offers on the ferries.
Old 11-01-07, 01:21 PM   #5
gazman

Cheers for the replies, I always find it difficult to wait for things but on this occasion I think I’ll take the advice of the wise .org members & go by Eurostar. At the end of the day it’s only an hour away for me & I’ve got a whole summer to go there, I may even pop it on this trip:

http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.ph...highlight=mans
Old 11-01-07, 01:24 PM   #6
Baph

Biking in the centre of Paris?

Have you contacted Ed yet? You'll be needing a good Will.

Seriously, I've only been to Paris once, years ago, and I always scare the family when I tell them I'm going to be a courier in Paris
Old 11-01-07, 02:03 PM   #7
timwilky
Mega Poster

If you are considering riding in Paris, get plenty of city centre riding experience in first.

The Peripherique is a good road to get yourself killed on. Generally stick to the second/third lane as the first two are assumed to be coming off at the next junction and you will get badly mangled if you confuse the locals. The centre of Paris is Etoile, where 6 unmarked lanes form round the Arc d'Triumphe. Whilst it is well policed, it is generally assumed drivers will want to go from first to 6th lanes in 20 yards to then move back out to exit. If there is a 6 inch gap a driver will try to get into it. and if there is not one they will try to make one.

On the Autoroutes avoid any car with a Belgian plate. Even my Belgian friends admit that they are the worlds worst drivers. Extremely aggressive with little regard for bikes. European bikers are generally very friendly. If you want to get through any major city try to follow a local.

Make sure you have plenty of fuel on a sunday and don't expect your credit card to work in automated pumps
Old 11-01-07, 02:28 PM   #8
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
If you are considering riding in Paris...try to follow a local.
To do this, you'll need a pair of cohonas so big you can't ride, or you'll be dead.

From what I've seen in Paris, commitment isn't the word. I took a taxi ride once, and whilst not religious at all, found myself praying.
Old 11-01-07, 02:45 PM   #9
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Ah praying in a taxi.I had a similar experience in Athens as competed in what seemed to be the Greek Grand Prix.
As for Paris,Ive driven a car there,and I would not do it again if I could avoid it.Mind you foreigners say the same about London.
Old 11-01-07, 02:58 PM   #10
600+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles
Ah praying in a taxi.I had a similar experience in Athens as competed in what seemed to be the Greek Grand Prix.
u're being harsh we don't drive like that back in Greece LOL