SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Closed Thread

Old 13-03-07, 11:03 PM   #1
Uberloinvongenchler

Default I'm new!

Hello guys and possibly some girls?

i have myself a 2001 sv in black, pretty immaculate and only 13800 miles on the clocks!

I've got just under 7000 miles experience on my aprilia rs50, which i sold in order to fund my new pride and joy!

I passed my bike test just over a week after my 17th so now i can ride with the big boys (well i was held up by most in the tight local twisties on my rs :-p)

one boring point: i got insured with bennetts tpft (again) for £473.12 (exc £25 legal fees). is this good?

Nothing was said about the power to weight ratio being reduced for this year and the following, but i'm getting an F1 international kit on saturday just for the law's sake.

It seems pretty silly tbh because i find the sv far less demanding to ride than my rs!!!! The power is what i would describe as pleasant. and that's coming from someone used to a moped. i'm either incredibly ungrateful or a complete speed-freak - except I'm not - because i love bibbling around on the sv as much as i like giving it some stick up to 59.9mph on the country roads

anyway, we shall see. once i've go the cirtificate, and built up some more solid experience the restrictor slides might have to accidently fall out...

anyway,

I look forward to organising a ride out with some people!!!

Old 13-03-07, 11:13 PM   #2
SV225

Default Re: I'm new!

I'm with bennets for this year, since feb, and payed about £330 TPFT with 2 yrs no claims but no legal fees etc. I'm 18 BTW so yours is prop fairly good, I paid £310 last yr for my RS125 with ebike(Still on L's back then).

I have the FI kit which is washers, not slides, in mine.

And hello.

Old 13-03-07, 11:24 PM   #3
Uberloinvongenchler

is the F1 kit good?

i really don't mind as long as it doesn't make the bike feel lacklustre.

tbh it didn't scare me too much first time (ie today) so i think it's a really great starter bike -but fear of getting bored - i've done around 25 miels onit today anyway... and yeah, it's nippy - it runs out of puff a bit 110+ (which i did only once on a long desolte road for which i know every inch of very well).

so yeah, and two up it's nice and solid -suspension isa bit squishy compared to my poised little race bike but ims rue this can be adjusted? (At lerast the rear) which squirms a little if you're even slightly enthusiastic

Old 13-03-07, 11:43 PM   #4
SV225

Is any kit designed to halve the power of your bike good???
When the kit is fitted the acceleration just feels flat and it makes lots of noise and vibrations without really going anywhere.
The full power is easier to ride, I think, as it doesnt feel as stressed and fires out of corners quiet nicely
But with the kit in, it still lots of engine braking, fun when coming from a 2 stroke and it still looks just as good (especially since its a curvy )

Old 13-03-07, 11:49 PM   #5
kwak zzr

welcome to sv650.org!

Old 14-03-07, 10:51 AM   #6
jambo
Mega Poster

Hello and welcome, one of the intresting things about where you are now is that legally the bike must be restricted, I always had to explain this to totally dis-intrested insurance companies. "Yes I'd like to 1/2 the power of my bike, will this affect my quote? No it's exactly the same" Joy.

It's a legal requirement though and if you do have an off you may find that suddenly people want to see proof the bike was restricted.

For the curvy it's either done as washers, or more usually changes to the carbs to stop the sliders fully opening. it'll feel a bit flat I'm afraid but this is the lot of the young biker

Jambo
Old 14-03-07, 08:42 PM   #7
Uberloinvongenchler

hmm. it's not staying in for 2 years - i know that much!

im only doing it for the certificate anyway. i'll leave them in for the first 1000 miles (or until i get a sunny weekend with my toolkit.

i'm a good citizen and moral human being and as a personally responsible person i think the law is limiting my enjoyment of my hobby to an extent which would be immoral - like a curfew - for having it. i'll still ride responsibly, and not aggressively, im just not spending any more of my life being a passive participant on my bike waiting for it to be acceptable to have some fun. besides i need the extra power for the pillion(s) i will regularly take, and yes a certain bike mag i read had the cheek to give it minus points on account of the fact that it struggles two-up!!! - i think that's total ******** unless you want to be doing over a ton with a headwind...as it happens, i wanted to get it done at my local garage and they said it wasn't worth their trouble as infuriatingly, people turn up a week later smiling saying they fell out: "uhuh how long's that gonna last then?" he laughed...LOL!!!

Old 14-03-07, 09:50 PM   #8
monkey

Hello and welcome newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
It's a legal requirement though and if you do have an off you may find that suddenly people want to see proof the bike was restricted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberloinvongenchler View Post
i'm a good citizen and moral human being and as a personally responsible person.....
Sorry to put a downer on things but no matter how good a citizen you are your morals are a bit wonky. If you come off and the bike hits someone/something, as far as I know you wouldn't be technically insured. That then means that you'd be done, and get points or a ban (6 point rule for new riders aint it?) and the person/owner of whatever you hit would have to get the money back from you either directly or through the courts which would still have to come from your pocket. Basically if the old bill turn up, you're up the swanny without a paddle.

Why not try and get the best out of your new bike so that when you can take the restriction off you'll be the mutts nuts?

P.S. I may be wrong with any or all of the above. Do not quote me in a court of law. Your home is at risk if you do not keep up repayments.

Old 14-03-07, 10:02 PM   #9
Uberloinvongenchler

well i'm hardly going to get the condonance of anyone - it's illegal!

BUT, rules are for the guidance the wise and the observance of fools. i'm hardly going to not have it done when i want a certificate etc.

also, i have considered the implications and i can't afford to pay the £650 excess if i do hit anything anyway. in fact, not for some months -actually a year before i have a spare £650, which will be spent on the subsequent year of insurance. also, considering this high excess, i'd have to do something quite deliberate to cause that much damage, that was all my fault...(although my father is quite able to dream up some nightmare scenario involving a brand new BMW M3 or Ferrari)

i'm therefore morally irresponsible for riding without being able to pay the excess, full stop. but hey, it's as good an incentive as i'm going to get not to abuse the power so my selfishness backfires on me in my own interests...anyhow, we shall see what it's like...truly harsh acceleration is undesirable often -it's actually testing on the arms...:-p

Old 14-03-07, 10:14 PM   #10
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberloinvongenchler View Post
also, considering this high excess, i'd have to do something quite deliberate to cause that much damage, that was all my fault...(although my father is quite able to dream up some nightmare scenario involving a brand new BMW M3 or Ferrari)
Wouldn't have said so mate. One good knock on any modern car's rear quarter and that'd suck your excess dry.

You need to think about the risk you'll be putting others at too. Could you live with yourself if you done someone real damage or worse just because you couldn't wait to go a bit faster? The 33bhp law is there for a reason, and it's not to stop young bikers going broke.

By the way are you allowed to carry pillions on a restricted license?

Closed Thread