SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-10-08, 03:01 PM   #1
Daimo

Default "Those" miserable days

Do you get them?

You look outside and think "how the hell did I end up here? Im sure I wanted to do xyz and i've not got near it"

I think it was sparked by watching an African wild vet type programe at lunch, people sitting around watching/documenting wild animals etc

But it makes me think, how did i end up here? I never wanted to do anything like this, and now I can't really change drastically due to financial commitments etc.... Its not a bad job, not a bad life, far more people far worse off than I am, but never content.

So much world, so many things to do/see, yes theres plenty of time, but I want to do it now while im alive, fit and kicking?

Mince mince mince.
Old 21-10-08, 03:02 PM   #2
plowsie

Default Re: "Those" miserable days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimo View Post
Mince mince mince.
You want to try men too?
Old 21-10-08, 03:06 PM   #3
plowsie

I do know what your saying Daimo, I always thought as a kid and up until around the age of 15 I was going into the Golakeeping academy, I dropped that for drinks, smoking and girls, then just really fell into my first job, I was drunk and asked for a job, they said yeah start monday.

I want to get out and about all over the world, but as you say financial commitments have hindered that. I even look today and think, why didnt I get myself a 0% finance deal on an SV instead of racking loans up.

Silly Billy. Ahh well. Lifes a beach, I'll just get on with it!

Last edited by plowsie; 21-10-08 at 03:14 PM. Reason: May have read wrong to some.
Old 21-10-08, 03:12 PM   #4
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Do you get them?

You look outside and think "how the hell did I end up here? Im sure I wanted to do xyz and i've not got near it"

But it makes me think, how did i end up here? I never wanted to do anything like this, and now I can't really change drastically due to financial commitments etc.... Its not a bad job, not a bad life, far more people far worse off than I am, but never content.

So much world, so many things to do/see, yes theres plenty of time, but I want to do it now while im alive, fit and kicking?

Mince mince mince.
100% all of that sums up me right now.

I'm comfortable, but bored.

I have friends who are currently traveling the world, the photos they post on facebook are fantastic. I have done alot of traveling but not seen half of what they have.

At the same time I have alot more than them, so they sit with the boot on the other foot. They often moan how they have no money and £20k in student and travel loans, no jobs and no house and cant see how they ever will.

They call me and similar people rich *******s, because we have a big house, good jobs, reasonable cars, big boy toys and can afford to go out for nice meals and treat ourself most weekends.

Yet I call them lucky *******s becuase of what they have done and experienced in life, and where they are right now.....(somewhere in vietnam teaching under privelaged children so that they have a roof over their heads before they move onto their next destination).

Sat here right now bored.......I know what I would rather be doing.

The sad fact is people are rarely ever content, they always want what they havnt got.
Old 21-10-08, 03:25 PM   #5
Daimo

Aye, but im realising materialistic items arn't all that.

Would you rather be sat comfy where you are right now?

Or halfway accross the world, with a wealth of travel experience, cultures and different people, simply plodding by enjoying life, not caring abut the financial aspects.

Sure im doing ok, got a house, got a bike, share a car, just enough money to get by.... But as you say, pictures of people travelling everywhere, I know what i'd rather be doing.

I can't see the missis being up for selling up and travelling the world on what we have.

Friends currently moved back home with his parents, he's renting his house out, and now got a new £50k job. He'll be raking the cash in, to go travelling for however long he wants. Git
Old 21-10-08, 03:29 PM   #6
600+

Pragmatic is a word I tend to use a lot!!

I've got a good job, a house, no loans, a car, a bike and I can afford to save and go on holiday.

Would I start moving around the world - erm no thnx! Some people like staying at home others like not to have a home.

In life you take some decisions and make certain choices. It's up to you not to make them again and go do something else which you think you will enjoy more.#

If you are bored and unhappy do something to change that You are the one with the power!!
Old 21-10-08, 03:30 PM   #7
600+

Quote:
Aye, but im realising materialistic items arn't all that.

Would you rather be sat comfy where you are right now?

Or halfway accross the world, with a wealth of travel experience, cultures and different people, simply plodding by enjoying life, not caring abut the financial aspects.

Sure im doing ok, got a house, got a bike, share a car, just enough money to get by.... But as you say, pictures of people travelling everywhere, I know what i'd rather be doing.

I can't see the missis being up for selling up and travelling the world on what we have.

Friends currently moved back home with his parents, he's renting his house out, and now got a new £50k job. He'll be raking the cash in, to go travelling for however long he wants. Git
yes - but does he have a missus? is he in a rewarding relationship?

Are you sure you have the same expectations in life as he does?
Old 21-10-08, 03:45 PM   #8
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

I was in my first Job for 5 years and hated it. One day looked at myself. I saw an Alcoholic Work Hater and although had great aspirations had fell into a financially very comfortable situation which seemed impossible to get out of.
I was miserable and my health was suffering. I was drinking a lot (~120 units a week) as I had to supplement my social life cos of my work.
I always wanted to be in the Music Industry and decided to quit my job and go to university.
I had a 4 week break in between leaving my job and starting uni so stupidly used the money I had saved to get me through to Christmas and went to America for two weeks traveling round the North East.

The next year was hard. I couldn't get a job that could pay me enough or give me enough hours to carry on paying my car loan, insurance, mobile phone bill and rent + council tax bill etc. But somehow and I really don't know how I managed and found my first paid job within the industry working as a Sound Engineer for a local music.

I then left uni in my first year to work full time as I got nothing from it and learnt more in a month than my course or tutors could teach me. From then I have moved up to working for one of the best known and respected Touring Companies and couldn't be happier.

I realise I have been extremely lucky but I don't know where I would be if I hadn't taken the plunge.
I was also very lucky not to have financial and emotional commitments that most people do.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-08, 03:45 PM   #9
Sudoxe

Well, i've been saving for the past 4 years to go travelling and will be off soon (early next year at the latest). Materialistic things are nice, but being able to up and go really appeals to me. I've worked bloody hard and essentially earned my freedom (well, mostly until Iceland sunk! ). Sure i've had to sacrafice things, i've not gone out as much, or bought a new bike/guitar/etc where I wanted one. But i think it'll be worth it.

www.bootsnall.com is a great resource for this sort of thing.
If you want something life changing enough, you can make it happen. Although, sometimes I think about buying a Gibson L5-CES instead...

Bye, chumps!
Dan

Last edited by Sudoxe; 21-10-08 at 03:48 PM.
Old 21-10-08, 03:49 PM   #10
600+

hahaha it must be life in London then