SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-08-07, 06:33 PM   #1
Caddy2000

Default URGENT:Legal help with quitting the gym pleeaaaassse

I'm trying my best to quit Virgin Active; I'm a Diamond member.
I've been told that my membership is for 12 monthly periods.
I paid via direct debit monthly.

On the T's & C's it says:

1. Membership commitment to your Virgin Active club is:
For all membership categories the commitment period is one calendar month.
Except for Diamond membership where the minimum term is for twelve months whether paying by monthly direct debit or annually in advance. This is a contractual "commitment period" that binds the member and Virgin Active.

2. Notice must be given on termination of membership in writing from you or by completion of the Virgin Active Change of Circumstances Form, and such notice must be received at your home club, no later than the seventeenth day of the month before the month of cancellation to be effective on the last day of the month.
Except for Diamond Membership where written notice of termination must be given by the seventeenth day of the twelfth month (last month of commitment period). If notice of termination is not received in writing by this time the membership will automatically renew for a further twelve months.

On the back of the T's & C's it says:

CANCELLATION, SUSPENSION AND AMENDMENT
Minimum Written Notice Period
If you wish to cancel or amend your membership other than due to a change in the rules by us (see changes and adjustments) this must take effect on the first day of a month. We must receive written notice from youor you may complete our Chsnge of Circumstances Form no later than the seventeenth day of the month before the month the cancellation, suspension or amendment is due to take place.

This has slightly confused me.....

Can I just give the one month notice? I've been a member for 2 1/2 years...

Cheers

Paul
Old 15-08-07, 06:46 PM   #2
Jelster

Default Re: URGENT:Legal help with quitting the gym pleeaaaassse

Diamond member.... They have you by the short & curlys. We joined Virgin because of the 1 month notice period, which we enforced at the beginning of July.

Not sure what your options are....
Old 15-08-07, 06:54 PM   #3
Caddy2000

The centre manager won't either answer the phone or return my calls.......
... Been very happy with their service up till now. Haven't used the gym for about 4 months, and need the money for a mortgage!
Old 15-08-07, 06:56 PM   #4
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy2000 View Post
Can I just give the one month notice? I've been a member for 2 1/2 years...
I'm no legal expert, but reading that I'd say Jelster's right.

Tell then that you want to quit at the end of your current 12-month period and get the bank to cancel the DD as soon as the last payment for this 12-month period is made. Or do it online yourself if you have internerd banking.
Old 15-08-07, 07:44 PM   #5
muffles

Quote:
1. Membership commitment to your Virgin Active club is:
For all membership categories the commitment period is one calendar month.
Except for Diamond membership where the minimum term is for twelve months whether paying by monthly direct debit or annually in advance. This is a contractual "commitment period" that binds the member and Virgin Active.
This says your minimum membership as a Diamond member is 12 months.

Quote:
2. Notice must be given on termination of membership in writing from you or by completion of the Virgin Active Change of Circumstances Form, and such notice must be received at your home club, no later than the seventeenth day of the month before the month of cancellation to be effective on the last day of the month.
Except for Diamond Membership where written notice of termination must be given by the seventeenth day of the twelfth month (last month of commitment period). If notice of termination is not received in writing by this time the membership will automatically renew for a further twelve months.
This says that to quit on a particular month (so your membership ends on the last day of the month), you must tell them by the 17th day.

Also says that as a Diamond member, you sign up in 12-month blocks.

Quote:
CANCELLATION, SUSPENSION AND AMENDMENT
Minimum Written Notice Period
If you wish to cancel or amend your membership other than due to a change in the rules by us (see changes and adjustments) this must take effect on the first day of a month. We must receive written notice from youor you may complete our Chsnge of Circumstances Form no later than the seventeenth day of the month before the month the cancellation, suspension or amendment is due to take place.
This just confirms that to quit, you have to tell them by the 17th day of the month in which you want the last day of the month to be your last day at the gym. It doesn't unfortunately appear to override when you can actually quit - it just says that you must tell them by the 17th day of the month in which you will be quitting.

Anyway that's how I interpret all this.
Old 15-08-07, 08:24 PM   #6
mac99

Doesn't look good mate.

A quick google turned up this review site.

Lots of very unhappy people trying to cancel diamond membership. Also worryingly it seems a few people have had debt agencies put on to them straight away if they just cancel the Direct Debit and stop paying.

Low Risk Option:
Ask to see a copy of your original contract - they may have lost it.

Higher Risk:
Find out what sort of things will get them to throw you out and cancel your membership. There must be some behaviour which is unacceptable but not criminal.

Actually, those two suggestions are not serious advice - I am not a lawyer. You could end up damaging your credit rating if this goes wrong.
Old 15-08-07, 08:41 PM   #7
Stig

Sounds to me like your stuffed. You may as well get the use out of it seeing as your going to have to pay.
Old 15-08-07, 09:18 PM   #8
kitkat

go and pee on the treadmill and get banned
Old 15-08-07, 09:20 PM   #9
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
go and pee on the treadmill and get banned
Old 15-08-07, 10:12 PM   #10
Ed

...did they draw all this to your attention before you signed up??

12 months seems a long time to me for an exit notice in a consumer contract. There's no doubt that you dealt as a consumer. Time to dig out my old friends, the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. They are terrific for consumer disputes.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1999/uksi_19992083_en.pdf

Particularly Schedule 2 para 1 clauses e, h and i. Have a look round the others too.

However, gym contacts are notorious for unfair clauses, I've dealt with more than a few in the past, with generally mixed results - I say 'mixed' because people generally don't want a bust up and will generally settle on terms. These contracts are so notorious that the OFT has published specific guidance on the application of the Unfair Terms Regs to these types of contract, you can find the text at:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/bus...rms/oft373.pdf

They offer specific advice on exactly the clause you've come up against.

Of course the last thing you want is a legal bust up and litigation, so it might be worth offering them some £ to f*** off.

Edski