SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-12-09, 11:01 PM   #1
BournemouthBen

Default Hotel "get aways"

Hello all...

Looking for a hotel for a couple of nights in either the Lake District, Bath, Wales, Scotland etc etc. It must be beautiful. There must be either a lake/hill/river/mountain/attractive city near by (walking/bus distance) that my Girlfriend and I can chill at/in for a few days.

Hoping to book in February time (not Valentines unfortunately). Money hopefully wont be to much of an issue, but I'd like to budget it around £80-100 (most-ish) for the room, not considering other expenses etc.

I'm not asking you to google for me but what are your experiences? Do you know any good websites with links to good hotels or B&b's, or have you and the other half been anywhere you like and would recommend?

Its worth noting we probably won't be riding, so great roads and special parking are (unfortunately!) not an issue.

Regards,

Ben.
Old 22-12-09, 11:24 PM   #2
metalangel

Default Re: Hotel "get aways"

I can thoroughly recommend the Celtic Manor Resort near Newport. (note: RESORT. I didn't stay in the Manor House).

It's an unfeasibly huge pair of hotels perched on the side of a hill overlooking the M4 with a trio of huge golf courses, a huge spa and basically more stuff than you can possibly imagine. Assuming you can drag your missus away from the hot tubs you're not that long a drive away from the Brecon Beacons and such. Or indeed, just enjoy the views, excellent restaurants and the spa! THE SPA! Oh man. That's all we went for, the food and the spa.

If you booked far enough in advance you should get the room for about £90.
Old 23-12-09, 07:17 AM   #3
sarah

www.nationaltrustcottages.co.uk
Old 23-12-09, 08:46 AM   #4

try the white water hotel
went in 2006 and loved it, its a spa hotel, fair bit more than the budget you have in mind though... but its a thought..
Old 23-12-09, 09:24 AM   #5
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Spoilt for choice up here, there are literally hundreds of places that fit the bill - if you could maybe narrow down your location a bit I'm sure we can point you in the right direction?

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-09, 04:46 PM   #6
El Saxo

I would highly recommend the Claichaig Inn near Glencoe in the Highlands. I stayed there in September and the scenery around the place is AMAZING. Loch Leven is nearby and it's a nice walk from the B&B, plus there's plenty of other nice walking routes in the area. There's loads of other stuff to do too.

The B&B itself is great - the view out of our room was amazing - and serves good food, good beer and about 200 different Whiskys! They quite often have live music in the pub on site too.

http://www.clachaig.com/

Oh by the way, I went on the bike so if you do decide to ride up there, there is plenty of hard-standing parking & amazing roads in every direction!

Last edited by El Saxo; 23-12-09 at 04:48 PM.
Old 23-12-09, 05:29 PM   #7
Tommo

I have stayed at the Manor House in Oban - lovely small hotel - rooms are slightly small but more than comfortable - food is fantastic - Oban is the gateway to the islands so highly recommended.
Old 23-12-09, 05:37 PM   #8
Amanda

Hello Ben

Not seen you before. I just had a quick look at your piccies. I see you do a few WKD Events in Poole. Do you know Richard from WKD??

Hopefully you will get to come out on one of our meets??
Old 23-12-09, 05:41 PM   #9
Speedy Claire

Hiya Ben, try travelzoo.com as they`ve got a load of offers on at the min and you can get some really cheap hotel deals ie. stay in a 5 star for the price of a 3star etc. Good luck
Old 23-12-09, 06:48 PM   #10
BournemouthBen

Excellent recommendations thank you!

I don't drink whisky, because I can never remember anything much after!

Im not really sure where I'd like to go. My most favored destinations are Brecon and Scotland. I have little knowledge of Scotland. Its pretty much the furthest i can go without leaving the mainland, which is good

So. Beauty is key. Some attractions, but mainly a weekend break with peaceful walks and pretty views. Im quite easy as long as there are plenty of ho****er bottles and blankets.

And yeah I did some work for Wkd a while ago, but lost contact with Rich.

Ben.