SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Pennine Massive For those readers based up north.

Old 31-03-08, 02:33 PM   #1

Default Quick Ride Afterwork

I live in LS 12, can anyone suggest some decent roads to find afterwork this evening time as i dont want to be out more than a couple of hours?

But im clueless!

I have access to m62 and M1 / a1 so can get to some places pdq, but obvioulsy don't want to spend all the time on the bike going up the motorway!

Cheers All

me
Old 31-03-08, 02:40 PM   #2
pmapp
Mega Poster

Default Re: Quick Ride Afterwork

Not very far from you, but head out past Leeds Bradford airport, drop down through Pool, then you can do a nice big circle through Harrogate, left towards Blubberhouses, down towads Skipton then head on back into Leeds.

Always a decent run out that way.

If at first you don't succeed - use more gaffa tape.
pmapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 03:53 PM   #3
JimmyGulp

Couple of hours? Head along the M62 towards hull, take the A1(M) north, and head to Squires (just off the A63 iirc).

From there, assuming they've fixed the sewer on the B1222, you can either head up to York (Take A63 east, A162 North, then the B1222 towards Cawood), and from there to Tadcaster (quick hop on the A64), or go direct to Tadcaster on the A162 (via A63 East).

You then have the choice of going back along the A64 to Leeds, or up to Boston Spa (A659), and then across the A64 towards Harewood. From Harewood, you can either head to Pool and up Pool bank towards the Airport, or through the back end of Leeds.

Should be a nice day for that trip... As I'm already in York, I might head off towards Harewood / Pool on the way home in Bradford
Old 01-04-08, 04:07 PM   #4
melody

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmapp View Post
Not very far from you, but head out past Leeds Bradford airport, drop down through Pool, then you can do a nice big circle through Harrogate, left towards Blubberhouses, down towads Skipton then head on back into Leeds.

I agree.

Did it today. Was good except when gusts of wind nearly blew me into next week.
Old 01-04-08, 06:17 PM   #5
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by melody View Post
I agree.

Did it today. Was good except when gusts of wind nearly blew me into next week.
Indeed it wasnt the nicest of days for riding with that wind. Should be better tomorrow I think.
Old 01-04-08, 06:47 PM   #6
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmapp View Post

Ooooo. Too many memories flooding back from Uni days in Leeds, blasting around on my little 250.

Either heading through Otley (is the Otley caff by the river bridge still open? - we often stopped there for a brekkie/brew!) or via Pool to pick up any of the roads across the tops to the A59. The Sun Inn usually attracts many bikes, or at least I presume it still does?

Time dependent, you can always go further towards Pateley Bridge (B-roads) before heading towards Skipton (A59 & A65 tend to be busy).

I also seem to recall that you could get a decent run out to the east of Leeds, beyond Garforth towards York/Selby. Generally south & west is too built up unless you run right out to the Pennine fells, and time's probably against you there.
Sorry, not quite a route guide, but should help you spot on a map.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 04:45 PM   #7
melody

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyGulp View Post
Couple of hours? Head along the M62 towards hull, take the A1(M) north, and head to Squires (just off the A63 iirc).

From there, assuming they've fixed the sewer on the B1222, you can either head up to York (Take A63 east, A162 North, then the B1222 towards Cawood), and from there to Tadcaster (quick hop on the A64), or go direct to Tadcaster on the A162 (via A63 East).

You then have the choice of going back along the A64 to Leeds, or up to Boston Spa (A659), and then across the A64 towards Harewood. From Harewood, you can either head to Pool and up Pool bank towards the Airport, or through the back end of Leeds.

Should be a nice day for that trip... As I'm already in York, I might head off towards Harewood / Pool on the way home in Bradford
Get me!!! Did a variation of this route today. All good till I pulled up into a car park, put my foot down in a pothole and down I went.

Luckily for the bike, not a scratch as it landed on me, but unfortunately for me, I'm now nursing a very painful and swollen ankle. Managed to ride back home, but had to get my neighbour to help me get my boot off.

Anyway, got a drink off the gallant knight that helped me get the bike up. Every cloud has a silver lining.
Old 02-04-08, 09:25 PM   #8
rob13

Quote:
Originally Posted by melody View Post
Get me!!! Did a variation of this route today. All good till I pulled up into a car park, put my foot down in a pothole and down I went.

Luckily for the bike, not a scratch as it landed on me, but unfortunately for me, I'm now nursing a very painful and swollen ankle. Managed to ride back home, but had to get my neighbour to help me get my boot off.

Anyway, got a drink off the gallant knight that helped me get the bike up. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Mel,
hope you get back on the mend soon, dont worry about the fall, it was the potholes fault!
Old 02-04-08, 09:53 PM   #9
JimmyGulp

I hope the pothole wasn't that collapsed sewer up the B1222 Road is still closed
Old 03-04-08, 11:13 AM   #10
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

mel hope yer ankle doesnt stop u goin on yer holibobs