SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 21-05-07, 10:52 PM   #1
LeeSV

Default Knee down .. finally!

After trying and giving up believing i was too short, i went out tonight in a ****ed off mood and managed it 3 times on a left hander, took me 21 attempts for the first touch down, 3rd time i got the peg down at the same time. Scary stuff but bloody damn addictive.

As you can see here the front tire was close to lowside material.

Old 22-05-07, 10:44 AM   #2
keithd

Default Re: Knee down .. finally!

do you feel better for it?

i dont see the obsession myself, and riding in a hacked off mood is a recipe for disaster in my humble.

still, if it flicks ya switch and all that, fair play.
Old 22-05-07, 11:07 AM   #3
Law

Well done.

Wish I could get me knee down, will try when I eventually go on a track day. Don't fancy sticking my knee out on the road.

Your tyre looks fine to me, my front looks like that on the rhs.
Old 22-05-07, 11:15 AM   #4
MiniMatt

Eep First off congrats Secondly, if you're already grinding pegs, then you're already have more than enough lean, and you could get your knee down much earlier. In my occasionally humble opinion, getting your knee down much earlier doesn't actually bring you any benefit, but if it's your goal (and I'm going to guess you're going to want the right hand one scraped pretty soon!) then you might want to work on body position a bit more - your problem is obviously not one of lean angle.

There are plenty of threads elsewhere that explain this much better, but briefly, my best advice is to dip your inside shoulder, kinda move off and forward as if going toward the inside mirror, and just let your knee drop down - not move it forward along the fairing, just let gravity drop it out.
Old 22-05-07, 11:37 AM   #5
MiniMatt

Hmm confused now You mention it was on a left hander, and the tyre photo confirms this, but the slider photo appears to show your right knee??

I think I've figured it out, this was your first knee down whilst riding backwards? We're not worthy
Old 22-05-07, 12:16 PM   #6
DanAbnormal

Good work. If you are getting your pegs down you need to get your ass out of the seat and swivel aorund the tank more. Kneedowns are great fun and look quite cool with sparky sliders. As you can see from my sliders, I favour left handers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sliders.JPG (78.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 22-05-07, 05:38 PM   #7
LeeSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMatt View Post
Hmm confused now You mention it was on a left hander, and the tyre photo confirms this, but the slider photo appears to show your right knee??

I think I've figured it out, this was your first knee down whilst riding backwards? We're not worthy
Note the shape of knee slider, next time you see someone wearing Arlen Ness leathers you'll notice that "Arlen Ness" is written in grey on the inside of the leg, not the outside.
Old 22-05-07, 05:44 PM   #8
LeeSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwakadan View Post
Good work. If you are getting your pegs down you need to get your ass out of the seat and swivel aorund the tank more. Kneedowns are great fun and look quite cool with sparky sliders. As you can see from my sliders, I favour left handers!
Thats crazy, you must be taller than the green giant . As for swiveling around the tank i've been told thats the wrong way to do it, last night i was just keeping my whole body in line with the back and hanging off .. next time i'll try swiveling as you said.
Old 22-05-07, 05:48 PM   #9
suzsv650

me on the R6

and one of me m8s on the ninga both of us got sparkies on cant see mine as much tho cus im level with the camera
Old 23-05-07, 10:59 AM   #10
DanAbnormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSV View Post
Thats crazy, you must be taller than the green giant . As for swiveling around the tank i've been told thats the wrong way to do it, last night i was just keeping my whole body in line with the back and hanging off .. next time i'll try swiveling as you said.
Nope, I'm 5'8. It's all about confidence and technique. I used to try just hanging off but to get it properly you need to swivel around the tank which in turn moves your butt right off the seat, bar half a cheek. I learnt from a hardened racer!
Here is me on my favourite left hander, this should explain the left slider wear!

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...21744922224399