SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-08-06, 08:14 PM   #1
keystonecane

Default Newbie Question

Back in March I bought my first bike, an '01 SV650S and I love it. Never thought I would say this but I would like to replace the stock exhaust for something a little louder, but nothing obnoxious. I am handy but have no motorcyle repair knowledge whatsoever. What would you recommend that would be a fix that would not cost a lot and would possibly be something that I could even do myself without taking it to a shop? If something needs recalibrated as a result, then I would definitely have a professional do all of the work. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-08-06, 08:45 PM   #2
BILLY

Go for the scorpion high level like mine

It is road legal with a removeable baffel
Old 04-08-06, 08:49 PM   #3
Davido

Get a beowulf. Imo, they all sound pretty similar. Anything is better than stock. :P

If you like taking pillions, get a standard level one, and make sure you get a road legal one.
Old 04-08-06, 09:36 PM   #4
keystonecane

OK, a couple follow-up questions:

What are you referring to when you say legal? Legal emissions? There are no emissions testing of motos in my state. Legal sound levels?

Are the solutions offered something that I could do myself with no moto repair knowledge?

Hopefully not a stupid question....do these parts come with "instructions" for installation?

Thanks again.
Old 04-08-06, 09:42 PM   #5
the white rabbit

If your in the US www.svrider.com might be a better bet. M4 and Leo Vince are popular over your side.
By road legal it means over here cans should be below a certain db level and marked with a an E mark or somesuch. SO some have a removable baffle. With it hey are road legal, without they are basically a race can (although this varies, its complex). So nothing to do with emissions here.
Its probably very different where you are so svrider might be better.

Anyway, if you go for a slip on you cut through the pipe and slip the new end can on. Or go for a full system incl from pipes. I'm mechanically inept and I put a slip-on on. Just need the balls to make the cut

A lot of cans dont seem to need any alterations to fuelling, but some do I think esp. on curvey SVs. But someone more mechanically au fait will confirm that bit.
Old 04-08-06, 10:19 PM   #6
kwak zzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davido
and make sure you get a road legal one.
why would you want to do that?
Old 04-08-06, 10:32 PM   #7
kwak zzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davido