SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-01-08, 02:57 PM   #1
metalmonkey

Default McDonald's serves up 'Diplomas'

So you now go to the Golden Arches and get an a-level, but an a-level in what

I mean do you think employers are going to take this seriously, yeah I got an a managnment thing from Mcd's.....

I'm not very academic, but have a degree, but I can't see what benfit this will be to people.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7209276.stm
Old 28-01-08, 03:00 PM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: McDonald's serves up 'Diplomas'

I have not read this particular story, but the story keeps getting twisted.

They are not diplomas in Maccy's, They are diplomas in business managements etc by doing which will help manager run branches more effectively.

They arnt diplomas for any basic burger flipper/floor moper to carry out.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-08, 03:29 PM   #3
gettin2dizzy

Employers ultimately decide what a qualification is worth when it comes to employing them, so I see no harm in it. We're too focused on dividing children in to academic groups, not recognising that ability to perform in the classroom isn't unique to people able to perform well in business. Allowing people to experience work and build up qualifications relevant to their achievements does no harm to anyone.
Old 28-01-08, 03:30 PM   #4
Fizzy Fish

I certainly don't think it's a bad idea to give people recognition for on the job training/experience, or the opportunity to take a more practical/job orientated qualification, though I'm not quite clear how these fit with things like NVQs which are already out there.

At a guess they're trying to simplify the system for older teens into one type of qualification, and also give more vocational qualifications a higher status.

It could work that way, or it could bring down the perceived value of A Levels - will probably depend on how tough/useful the courses turn out to be.
Old 28-01-08, 03:46 PM   #5
metalmonkey

Its not a problem or a bad idea, but of how much benfit will it be to those peoople that have the diploma? That is all, if it works then great best of luck to them.

But say there are 2 people going for a job, it came down to college grades ect, they may not get or not get to the stage through the paper side of the job applications.

But the government does seem obssed with getting people qualifications. I think I could do a level 3 dioloma thing at work or its being offered to new people in training now, but of how much use it will be?

Why not just bring proper appretitices jobs, that they used to have? I couldn't get one when I was looking for one.
Old 28-01-08, 06:53 PM   #6
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
We're too focused on dividing children in to academic groups, not recognising that ability to perform in the classroom isn't unique to people able to perform well in business.
Classifying children according to their academic ability works well enough for employers to gauge how suitable potential employees will be. If anything, this should be even more applicable now than ever before as there are less manual jobs now. Of course the government have cocked that up by making exams easier so 50% of students get As, making the exams pointless.

The exception are the self made individuals - but as they're almost always self employed exam results are meaningless.

I'd like to think the McPloma is a good idea, but they cynic in me feels this is just another half-baked idea for the government to palm off responsibility for something that they really should be taking care of themselves.
Old 28-01-08, 07:30 PM   #7
CoolGirl

I shouldn't really comment on this, but....

We could re-rehearse the discussion about 'do you use your degree' (I know people in senior management in government departments who were hired because they had a degree in music from the 'right' university - hmmmm).

The point about the diplomas is that they are accredited against a framwork, so they are comparable with other qualifications in similar or different subjects. They will be required to have mandatory elements - for example, the management, HR, fianace skills etc, which are generic and transferrable.

actually, we did some research, and ex-McDonalds managers are very employable - they come from a structured training programme, have proven their worth, and know how to manage and be managed. More than you can say for some companies.

As several others have pointed out, if you're not academic, haven't got the right background or been to the right school, who's going to give you a chance to prove yourself? And if you get a job and work hard, how can you prove what you've done? In my opinion, this rewards those who want to work and gives them something to show what they're capable of when the time comes for promotion or to move on to bigger and better things.
Old 29-01-08, 12:15 PM   #8
Fizzy Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGirl View Post
As several others have pointed out, if you're not academic, haven't got the right background or been to the right school, who's going to give you a chance to prove yourself? And if you get a job and work hard, how can you prove what you've done? In my opinion, this rewards those who want to work and gives them something to show what they're capable of when the time comes for promotion or to move on to bigger and better things.
Agree. As an employer, motivation, experience and evidence of job-related aptitude are all high on my list, so I'd happily consider someone who has this type of qualification over a more traditional academic background.

And if someone can be enthusiastic and dedicated at McDonalds, then that's got to say something good about them!