SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-04-09, 09:39 PM   #1
SV-net

Default New Tyres required...SV Revival.

Well the time has come for me to uncover the SV in the garage and start getting it ready for the MOT in preparation for this years riding.
I know I need new tyres front and rear and was looking for some reasonably priced tyres for commuting mainly but the odd weekend blast on the lanes. A dual compound looks likely. I hear Continental Road Attack are a good choice, any comments welcome (with rough prices).
Old 04-04-09, 09:41 PM   #2
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Default Re: New Tyres required...SV Revival.

Road Attacks are a good tyre but not Dual Compound I don't think. I run Road Attacks currently and find them to be very good in wet and dry conditions.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-09, 09:43 PM   #3
thefallenangel

Pirelli Supercorsa on my rear is super grippy and i've just bought another scrub set. Got a set of D209's but can't comment on them.
Old 04-04-09, 09:50 PM   #4
SV-net

I have changed my bikes so frequently and the SV I have owned now for 18 months, I have to say that because I changed previously so often I have NEVER EVER had to purchase tyres before. I have not a clue what sort of prices I will be looking at, this shows how much I like the SV as I am about to put on tyres for the first time since I had a licence.
Old 04-04-09, 09:50 PM   #5
ThEGr33k

Pilot Road 2'cts. Last for ages! You'll probably get 10K miles out of the back, I can get 8k out of mine before it becomes really square.

I've never had any grip issues at any time of the year and they are great in the corners and getting out of them. Ill be sticking to PR2ct rear and might try PP2ct front to see what the difference is (plus they might wear together, 12K out of front PR2ct!).

Have fun

Expect to pay about £180 for a pair fitted... Not bad really for what you get!
Old 04-04-09, 09:54 PM   #6
SV-net

Superb, cheers will look into this Monday.
Old 04-04-09, 10:43 PM   #7
Villers

The pilot road 2's are probably up there with the best wet touring tyres, also good wear and plenty of feel. Ive just swapped a set of AVons for the twin compound Road 2's and its made a world of difference. They are reputed to be able to retunr 5k miles on my bike (Hayabusa) so you should see plenty of miles on the SV.

They are expensive though. If you are after a sports touring tyre instead of a supersports/road race then you may want to consider the Dunlop Roadsmarts, been doing very well in tests recently
Old 04-04-09, 10:49 PM   #8
Jamiebridges123

I'd recommend a Pilot Power. Although no first hand experience I've heard of R1's and the like getting over 3000 miles out of a rear. Apparently have something crazy like 43 degrees of lean in the wet. I wouldn't be suprised if a sensible, yet sporting rider on an SV650 could get 5000 out of a Pilot Power.

Although if you're more of a distance over outright performance, Pilot Road 2's or Dunlop Roadsmarts should suffice. Apparently the Roadsmarts were 2 seconds per lap faster round a test track in the wet, and "faster than anything else" in the dry, in MCN a while back.

Seems for your personal useage, something like a Bridgestone BT021, Pilot Road 2 or a Roadsmart is up your street.
Old 05-04-09, 12:20 AM   #9
ThEGr33k

I dont get why people want to go for sport tyre's... Modern sports touring are enough for anyone on the road.
Old 05-04-09, 07:41 AM   #10
s.j.robson@bt

Hi mate
Ive just fited a set of Dunlop Sportmax Qaulyfiers.
On the reccomendation of various people I went for a 70 profile front and lowered the front by about 13mm.
I have to agree with the majority that for road use the difference is negligable however I am finding that its given me a bit more confidence and I love the way the bike turns in compared the the standard hard wearing tyres !
Oh and the front looks a bit more aggresive with the bigger front which is a bonus !
As for price, I dont know where you are from but the pair where just under £200 fitted from Moss tyres of york which I have to say is a bargain !! Happy days !!