SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-08-09, 01:10 PM   #1
krhall

Default Royal Mail Robbing B&5T&RD5!!!

Just got home and had a note through the door saying they had a package for me which needed to be paid for, at a cost of £1.08.

Went up there to pick it up and it is a letter, but as it is not flat and won't fit through their gauge thing it requires 8p more postage on it, so they charged me the 8p plus a further £1 administration charge for this.

What a load of robbing B&5T&RD5!!!

Discuss?
Old 12-08-09, 01:14 PM   #2
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: Royal Mail Robbing B&5T&RD5!!!

Yeah I got done last year. a parcel to collect that owed

Turned out to be a birthday card with a badge the bulked it out.
Old 12-08-09, 01:16 PM   #3
Holdup

Same at christmas, so they charge extra £1 for keeping it back at sorting office, but dont charge for taking a parcel back =\
Old 12-08-09, 01:29 PM   #4
Gazza77

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post
Just got home and had a note through the door saying they had a package for me which needed to be paid for, at a cost of £1.08.

Went up there to pick it up and it is a letter, but as it is not flat and won't fit through their gauge thing it requires 8p more postage on it, so they charged me the 8p plus a further £1 administration charge for this.

Discuss?
So you'd prefer them to put up the postage charge for all items to cover the cost of delivering things from people who are incapable of putting the correct value of stamps on instead?

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 01:42 PM   #5
Ed

We occasionally get underpayment notices at work - ie that we have underpaid. But we weight everything and we have one of Royal Mail's 'pricing in proportion' things so we can check for sizing etc.

Of course when you get the letters demanding £1.08 it's impossible to know what they are referring to let alone check the weight and size cos it was posted some days before. I think they send them out at random
Old 12-08-09, 01:59 PM   #6
Foxy

I had exactly the same happen to me. I knew the person sending it had paid enough postage but had to go and pick it up at a cost to me of £1.08!!!
Old 12-08-09, 02:02 PM   #7
plowsie

That is the way the cookie crumbles unfortunately. It's 8p underpaid, so guess it is over 100g letter so therefore is classed as a large letter, the sender has sent it for standard small letter first class. The extra £1, is a handling fee.
Old 12-08-09, 02:04 PM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post

Discuss?
Maybe so, however, it is the senders responsibilty to ensure the correct postage is attached. There are pretty clear rules with reagrds to the size of letters now etc, and even a perspex thingy that you can put them through to make sure, so blame the sender 1st as theya re the slackers, and the post office are just being the post offce!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 02:07 PM   #9
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Royal Mail are a huge operation but oh so crap at what they do most of the time. They let me down in a major way with their mail redirect service an it ended up costing me lots of money. When i tried to claim this money off them they passed me from pillar to post until i finally got thru to the CEO pa who was gobsmacked i was on her line with this issue. She promised me she would settle the matter immeadiately with a cheque.

She put me thru to another woman who said "yes can i help you?" and i was about to freak out, thinking i was back thru to the bloody call centre again. But the lady said "no, i'm supposed to write you a chque... but i wasn't told for how much". So just to see if she was serious i added £100 to the amount and got the cheque a couple of days later.

Pathetic way to run a business eh?
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 05:01 PM   #10
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Royal Mail are a huge operation but oh so crap at what they do most of the time.
That's a rather sweeping statement, and one I've got to disagree with. I know a few people that work for RM (at various levels of the company).

A few bad things are bound to happen in a corporation as large as RM. But consider the amount of their services that do run smoothly, the number of letters any individual here has received sucessfully, and on time, compared to the number of times that individual has had reason to complain at RM (whether or not they did actually complain).

Then multiply that by the entire populace of the nation. Doesn't seem so bad now does it?

That's only talking about the postal service, as they've branched out into other things.

Back to the topic at hand, I don't consider £1.08 to be an unfair charge. If it were £25 or something similar to banking charges, then I'd be complaining. The £1 probably doesn't even cover storage, let alone carriage from the address back to depot, or the guys wages that gives the post over at the depot, or any of the other factors involved, such as writing to the adressee (ink, paper, postage of that letter etc etc). The 8p, was pretty clearly not paid initially, or this whole scenario wouldn't of happened.