SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-01-10, 05:15 PM   #1
Paul the Newbie

Default Brake, clutch and rear sprocket questions.

Hi,
I've just bought an SV650S, it's a '99 model, & it is my first bike. It appears to have a couple of issues.
The clutch seems very stiff, can it be lubricated? If so, is it as simple as squirting some WD40 down the cable, or is it more in depth, or am I better off replacing the cable compleatly?
The next problem is a bit more of a drama. The front brake seems a bit sticky, I think one of the disks might be out of shape. What is the best way to confirm it is a problem with the disk, & not a stuck piston, or some other problem?
Finally, the Guy I bought the bike from said he thought the rear sprocket might need changing. How do I tell if it does or not? It has no broken teeth, and doesn't look excessively worn to me.
Any help on any of these problems would be greatly appriciated!
Old 29-01-10, 05:28 PM   #2
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Default Re: Brake & Clutch Problems - Help!!

First, hello and welcome. Get in the Idle Banter section and say hello properly tho, otherwise you dont really exist and that creates somewhat of an existential dilemma for me. ANd me no likey dilemma.

Now, yes squirt WD40 down the cable bit for starters and see how that goes. In fact you'd be better off using a light oil like 3in1 oil but WD40 will do for now. If this dont help much then it may not be the cable but other clutch bits.

As for checking the disk, well if you can somehow attach something to the fork leg so its a couple of mm away from the disk and the spin the wheel...if if off the floor..or roll the bike forward if not and see if the disk rubs against this thing or not. If not, the disk is fine and its your brakes. My money on the brakes tbh but its worth knowing whats what.

As for the sprocket, well thats hard to tell. Can you take a pic and post it up?
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-10, 05:38 PM   #3
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Erm, I'd actually advise *not* to use WD40 down the cable.

Reason being is that the cable is coated and lined and WD40 does not play well with it, the clutch is fairly strong on the SV (my wife complains about it whenever she rides mine) but it should move freely. It should for example 'snap' closed again. You can use oil but you are masking the problem and you should get the cable replaced asap. Thinking about it you are probably better to use some kind of vegetable oil.

Way to check if sprockets need replacing is to pull a correctly adjusted chain at the very back of the sprocket, if the chain can be pulled so that you can see an entire tooth then chain and sprokets need replacing (always replace both at the same time).

As for brakes the calipers probably just need cleaning.

Druid

Last edited by fastdruid; 29-01-10 at 05:53 PM. Reason: smelling pistakes again
fastdruid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-10, 05:44 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Best stuff for cables is thin graphite stuff
Old 29-01-10, 05:54 PM   #5
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Best stuff for cables is thin graphite stuff
If you are going to use anything then yes, also good for locks.

Gone are the days when you used to have to lube cables though, now they last until worn out, then replace.

Druid
Old 29-01-10, 05:56 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

They last until worn out, then you treat them like old ones until muscles in your hands don't fit in your gloves from heaving levers in LOL
Old 29-01-10, 05:59 PM   #7
fastdruid
Mega Poster

lol.

Advantage of a hydraulic clutch, stays the same forever. Well until you realise that its a good idea to change the fluid every now and then....

Ick

Druid
Old 29-01-10, 06:01 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Lovely!

I once worked on a car where some muppet had used vegetable oil in brake system. That had gone rather smelly.
Old 29-01-10, 06:02 PM   #9
noob-saibot

Take the cable out and hang it up to oil.

Put a money bag on the top and tape it around the tip of the cable router. Fill the bag a bit with 3 in 1 oil and hang over a dish or something. Sit there and pull the bottom bit of the cable in and out for a few mins. Leave to soak and repeat in an hour.

Brought my original one back to life in a hour doing this last night after the apparently cheap one on the bike snapped. Had been sitting in the garden for the past year and could barley move it. Brand new now

Oh yeah, clean and grease your worm drive

Last edited by noob-saibot; 29-01-10 at 06:03 PM.
Old 29-01-10, 06:33 PM   #10
Alpinestarhero

Cables dont need lubricating as often nowadays, but a little lube does help. You may also like to get the front sprocket cover off (3 x 8 mm bolts - you'll need a long socket!) and check around that arear for gunk. The worm-drive mechanism (pull the clutch lever and you'll see what I mean) can get gunked up, so give this some oil, or even take it off and grease it (be bloody carefull if you do, because there are ball bearings waiting to go *ping* into places unknown even to physics). If you take the push-rod out (the rod thats pushed in when you pull on the lever at the bar), dont be alarmed if a little engine oil comes out - thats just some seeping past the seals before they close up.

For the brakes, they may well need taking apart, cleaning and re-assembling, using rubber lubricant grease for the pistons, copper slip / neverseize for the bolts and on the backs of (new) brake pads. Infact, you know what...do it anyway! It makes a world of differance to the braking performance You'll need to get some fresh brake fluid aswell, for refilling and bleeing the brake system (obviously lol)

For future info...WD40 isnt really a lubricant. It was originally formulated as a water dispersant (WD!) product, it just so happens that it leaves behind a residue that is a bit slippery. It is best used to clean things or spray on stuff (shocks, metal bits) to keep corrosion away.