SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-09-10, 01:40 AM   #1
Luke-Mac

Default PCN in a carpark!

Some of us south easterners went out on friday and when stopping at tenterden found the bike parking was covered by a market, so we looked around (well weirdfish did the hard work while we chilled out!) and eventually found a car park. It was half full with a big empty bit by a wall completely out of the way so parked the bikes up and went for a coke

Met up with a girl from the KSB forum who had to nip off so she went round to see where we had parked and quickly sent us a text to get back to the bikes NOW

Rushed back to find a ****ing traffic warden in the middle of writing 5 tickets! Luckily he had only written two and basically admitted he didn't know what the parking regulations were in that car park and had to check the board etc and then didn't write any more tickets (his one redeeming moment) and told us to appeal the tickets he had already written (I assume they can't be immediately revoked any more) which seems to suggest he thought he was in the wrong!

I have attached pictures including the limited signage, please tell me what you think and if we have grounds for appeal:

(ignore the black bike at the back on some of the pics, that's the lovely lady from the KSB forum who saved us from 3 more tickets! and wasn't there when the 'enforcement officer' started writing the tickets)

Last edited by Luke-Mac; 12-09-10 at 01:42 AM.
Old 12-09-10, 07:11 AM   #2
Ch00

Default Re: PCN in a carpark!

What time had you parked there at?

Did you park in a proper space, from the photos it does not look like a normal space. Looks long like a coach space.
Old 12-09-10, 07:31 AM   #3
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

More to the point, or perhaps I'm being blind, but did you buy tickets?

I can't see on the signs where motorcycles are exempted from parking charges?

But definitely appeal the tickets anyway, if anything it makes them work for their tax and keeps the cash in your account a few weeks longer...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 07:37 AM   #4
tom-k6

appeal it and also say that the sticky glue has left a residue on your screen, and therefore want your damage repaired.

just because you may/may not have got a ticket does not give them the right to damage your vehicle
Old 12-09-10, 07:43 AM   #5
Ch00

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-k6 View Post
and therefore want your damage repaired.
Damage from a bit of sticky stuff used to stick the ticket on. Thats not damage not by a long shot.

What about the sticky stuff he put on the bike when put a ticket on it himself when he paid and displayed (if he did).

He might as well sue himself as well why not add stress into it and all.
Old 12-09-10, 08:05 AM   #6
danf1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
More to the point, or perhaps I'm being blind, but did you buy tickets?

I can't see on the signs where motorcycles are exempted from parking charges?

But definitely appeal the tickets anyway, if anything it makes them work for their tax and keeps the cash in your account a few weeks longer...
My immediate repsonse. It doesn't look like a proper bike space, and I can see no notice that motorbikes are exempt.

Like already said though appeal, anyway.
Old 12-09-10, 08:29 AM   #7
timwilky
Mega Poster

doesn't take long to find on the net

http://www.ashford.gov.uk/ashford_bo...ncil/faqs.aspx

Can I park my motorcycle for free?
Motorcycles can park free of charge in council car parks when parked in designated motorcycle bays. There are designated motorcycle bays in Vicarage Lane Car Park, Ashford, the Civic Centre and Stour Centre car park, Ashford, and the Tenterden Leisure Centre, Tenterden.

So I guess you cannot park for free where you were!

Last edited by timwilky; 12-09-10 at 08:30 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 08:39 AM   #8
mister c
Mega Poster

My one argument would be "where do I put my ticket?" Stick it anywhere on the bike & it can easily be stolen. I have never paid at a P&D car park & dont intend to
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 09:27 AM   #9
christopher

Last year five of us from this forum went to Wales for a ride and stopped for lunch in Pwllheli. There was no free motorcycle parking and nowhere for us to get all five in the town so we had to go in a "Pay & Display" car park. Had a quick word with one of the attendants and ended up putting all five bikes into a single car space and buying one ticket which covered us all as we only took up one space.

For the equivalent of £0.10 each or whatever negligible amount it worked out at we didn't have a problem paying it. To help prove you bought the ticket, take a clear photo of it on your bike showing the tickets details.

You could appeal it by saying you bought a ticket for the space you were parked in but when you returned to the bike it was missing, though if you didn't mention this to the attendant at the time and don't have any proof (the cameras might be working which could prove otherwise) it's your decision if it's worth the risk.
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 09:38 AM   #10
simesb

Most places recommend writing motorcycle on the ticket to try and stop it being pinched. Depends if you have a pen or not...