SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-08-11, 09:52 PM   #1
Fade

Default Ron Haslam Race School + Rain = :-(

So I went along to the Ron Haslam Race School at Silverstone this Wednesday, I've been waiting a couple of weeks for it to make sure it was going to be dry. I was doing the Premier course which is on cbr600s

I checked the weather on tues afternoon and it all looked good, it promptly started raining as I pulled into silverstone, bugger.

After the briefing I got paired with some guy who had only just passed his test using one of those intensive few day courses and he was hilariously slow, completely ruined the first session. They did kindly give me an instructor of my own after that though.

We had a play on a static bike looking at body position and then back out for a bit more track time, this was a lot better picking up the pace and getting some better lines through the corners. While there is always an instructor in front they dont really hold back and do build up the pace, it was rather wet with plenty of spray coming up of the wheels.

Back out again for the last session and the instructor was on a blade this time, really picking up the pace now hanging as far of the bike as you can! Arm wraped around the tank and no butt cheeks on the seat just a knee on the tank. Was feeling quite happy and were overtaking people on elite course on blades when we ended up overtaking a group coming up to stowe and ended up taking the corner quite sharply at which point the back stepped out as I got back on the power (a bit early it would seem) It had me going for a sec thinking I could save it when the rear caught and high sided me all the way across the track and most of the run off! Hurt like fook, left shoulder and elbow are bruised and sore, right wrist is very sore and my index finger is blue and twice as big as it used to be.

My lid is a write off as are my gloves. My jacket is fairly scuffed on the shoulder and has the logo from my back protector rubbed into the colour on the back! Left knee of my trousers is fairly scratched/scuffed but I think these bits are salvageable.

Overall I was quite happy with the course, even though it was in the wet I did build on my ability and confidence on the bike and I'm looking forward to my next track day (Brands Hatch GP) I just need to find a new helmet on the cheap!

Also of note, I was wearing a AGV GP Tech and a Force Field Lvl 2 Back protector and the two bits of me that do not hurt/ache are my head and back. V pleased with both. After another of the same lid, hopefully a bit cheaper this time. Annoyingly the same two plastic bit ripped out of my gloves exposing the lining, A* GP Plus, and the bit on the outer lower palm.

Old 18-08-11, 10:12 PM   #2
Specialone

Default Re: Ron Haslam Race School + Rain = :-(

Bugger, not a great end to an otherwise good day by the sounds of it, gws.
Old 18-08-11, 11:35 PM   #3
KeithCRM

Did you not fancy wearing the kit they provide, particulary as it was wet?

I've been twice now and always found their kit very good.

KeithCRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-11, 09:07 AM   #4
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Take solice in you don't have to post pics of your own smacked up motosickle only your lid!

I prescribe a ten minute staring session at your pristine bike, twice daily.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-11, 11:01 AM   #5
Radlad

Glad to hear that your confidence isn't as damaged as your lid!!
Old 19-08-11, 11:54 AM   #6
SUPERSTARDJ01

Do they charge you excess for smashing the bike or is it all included?

Sounds like the instructor was pushing passed your skill level.

Glad your ok.
Old 19-08-11, 12:28 PM   #7
Fade

They don't charge any excess, apparently 5 other people had crashed that day in the dry, one required an air ambulance....

I'm a skinny bugger so the suits a quite baggy and Arai helmets give me a headache.

The instructor was pushing me but thats the idea, I think it was mostly down to a much tighter line through the corner and me not compensatnig for it by slowing down more. While it (probably) would not have happened if we were not overtaking people it would have been a bit boring if you end up stuck behind people all the time.
Old 19-08-11, 01:30 PM   #8
Reeder

Just went on the website and read up about the courses. Sounds brilliant!
Glad you had a good time even with the off.
Old 19-08-11, 02:31 PM   #9
hongman

Sounds like you got off lucky. Normally have to pay an excess waiver fee or something right?

I wonder what their insurance and repair bills are like
Old 19-08-11, 02:39 PM   #10
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongman View Post
Sounds like you got off lucky. Normally have to pay an excess waiver fee or something right?

I wonder what their insurance and repair bills are like
Dont need to pay insurance for the bikes - they are track only.

The probably pay someone fulltime to keep the bikes running, wouldnt be surprised if they actually made their own fibreglass fairings - one get broken to badly, just bin it and make a new one...

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote