SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Riding Gear Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 12-04-12, 02:32 PM   #1
sc00by

Default Back protector in a Furygan Houston Amo 2

Hi,

I'm considering buying this jacket and it comes with a "Furygan full dorsal back protector", which sounds ok. I mean it's a good jacket.

I currently use a Forcefield L2 back protector and I don't want to end up with a crappy back protector that some jackets come with.

Is there any way I can know how good this furygan back protector is? Will it offer similar protection to the Forcefield one or should I take it out and replace it (or take it out and continue using the forcefield one)?

Thanks!
Old 12-04-12, 03:20 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Back protector in a Furygan Houston Amo 2

I'd stick with the forcefield, all the ones I've found included as part of OEM jacket protection have been carp
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-12, 03:27 PM   #3
maviczap
Mega Poster

Not sure if this is the one that's included with you jacket

http://www.automotoracing.com/rider-...rotection.html

But the D30 foam is good stuff, although doesn't look as ventilated as Forcefield protector
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-12, 03:47 PM   #4
Luckypants
Mega Poster

The problem with most back protectors that fit in a jacket is that they have to shorter than a full back protector in order to actually fit in the jacket. So the spine below the waistband of the jacket is not protected like your forcefield one does. For some this is a worthwhile trade-off for the convenience of the back protector in the jacket.

However, I'm going the other way and will be buying a forcefield back protector this weekend. I have a built back protector in my leathers and have made use of it in a crash... it did the job but I'm aware if I had landed on my lower back, things may have been very different.

I'd stick with your Forcefield one if I were you.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-12, 06:20 PM   #5
sc00by

Thanks for the advice. I'll buy the jacket and take a look at what's in it (and report back).

I had also thought about the length, as my forcefield goes right down the full length of the spine, below where my current jacket ends.

Saying that, the houston amo 2 is apparently 3 inches longer in the back than all other furygan jackets, for this very reason, so they've obviously thought about it.

My forcefield also has a chest protector so I'd be giving that up to.

I'd love to ditch the ForceField for the convenience of just a jacket but the trade-off seems big
Old 12-04-12, 06:26 PM   #6
sc00by

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Not sure if this is the one that's included with you jacket

http://www.automotoracing.com/rider-...rotection.html

But the D30 foam is good stuff, although doesn't look as ventilated as Forcefield protector
Just checked and that is infact the one it comes with.

My Forcefield was £200 and this is 27euros. Slightly worrying!
Old 12-04-12, 09:41 PM   #7
MartinT

The Furygan Dorsale is a level 1 back protector so probably not what you are after.

Take a look at the D3o back protector sold by getgeared.co.uk it is a genuine level 2 transmitting 6.7kn under test. Thats not as good as a L2 forcefield at 5.6kn, but beats all other makes of back protector inserts that I know of.

I use the D3o because for me its a worthwhile compromise of safety and comfort. The D3o is 17mm thick and feels like soft flexible rubber, the wavy lines are to allow air flow and there are plenty of ventilation holes.

I have always used the forcefield up untill recently and although its comfortable enough on the bike, off it its as stiff and awkward as any armour. On and off the bike the D3o is very comfortable, it doesn't really feel like I am wearing an insert, off the bike I can sit back in a chair and it just feels like a thin cushion. D3o has been a revelation for me but probably will not appeal to robocop wannabees.

If you buy it then buy the biggest you can afford as it can be trimmed to fit, avoid the small as it is tiny.

As for the price of the dorsale its not much cheaper than forcefield L1 inserts that sell for about £30.

As luckpants says the inserts do not give as much coverage, but you can buy lower back only protectors that wrap around the waist to combine with any insert.

Have you looked at the jacket limb armour it should also be D3o, if its the 8mm version its not very good, D3o don't even market it as motorcycle armour anymore but some companies are still fitting it.
D3o's current motorcycle limb armour is a minimum 10mm.
Old 13-04-12, 08:44 AM   #8
sc00by

Thanks a lot MartinT. I've read a bit more about D3o and I'm quite impressed, especially with the newer versions they're releasing, which I could upgrade to later.

In the Houston Amo 2, Furygan now put D3o in both back and limb protectors.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Pr...-the-standard/
Old 13-04-12, 11:05 AM   #9
MartinT

Thats good news Scooby, level 2 limb armour I doubt theirs much in the market to beat that at the moment.

If you do buy the jacket I hope you update this thread as I will be very interested to hear your opinion on D3o.
Old 22-10-12, 12:00 PM   #10
Fifteen15

^ I'm also interested. I'm after the same jacket, tried it on at my local bike store and it fitted perfectly. However, theirs didn't have a back protector in it yet they were still selling it for the full RRP which I didn't actually realize until now after a bit of research. Good job I didn't buy it straight away. Anyway, I'm in exactly the same position as you were. If I do buy the jacket, which it looks likely, I'm considering whether it would be worth wearing a full blown back protector rather than the stock one.

So how are you getting on with the jacket and what did you do in terms of back protection?

PS: Sorry to bump an oldish thread!