SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-02-15, 11:06 PM   #1
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Brake Pad Thread

go in then gives your thoughts on all the pads out there. its time for new ones again and thinking of changing.

i have tried:
SBS, liked these on my last bike. rather dusty. seemed to be ok in all weathers. had a pretty good initial bite. dont know about them lasting as the bike got stolen.

EBC, pretty much the norm. find them great in the dry but not so good in the wet. plenty of material on them when new. last ages.

Galfer, utter rubbish. hardly any material on them when new. ok in the dry but nothing outstanding. dusty as fek. dont last long. really bad in the wet.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-15, 08:55 AM   #2
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: Brake Pad Thread

Ebc street: good for the first 10k then they go to powder

Ebc Hh: superb in most conditions, get a bit funny at very low temperatures

suzuki oem HH are quite good if you can stop them glazing over

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-15, 10:02 AM   #3
nutzboutbikes

Ebc HH - lack a little feel but work just fine.

Ferodo Sinter grip - personally I would avoid these pads cost me a set of discs! though that was on a trackday.

Oem - Great pads, good feel work well in all conditions, a little more expensive than most after market pads.

Bendix - My favourite pad much like oem good feel work very well, small saving over oem.
Old 15-02-15, 11:37 AM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

Not had a great deal of types on the SV

When I had the earlier front end, with the Nissin 4 pots I had Kyoto pads (?) from Wemoto, they were fine wet or dry, plenty of feedback and predictable.

Fine on my 2 track days as well.

I don't even know what pads I've got in the Tokico calipers at the moment, OEM

Last edited by maviczap; 16-02-15 at 08:53 AM.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-15, 11:03 PM   #5
Aquila

I put Kyoto pads on the rear last year,they do a good job,under £8 as well.
Old 17-02-15, 11:07 PM   #6
sputnik

Currently running SBS sintered, front and rear. Really like the front ones. Good bite but not snatchy and seem to cope well wet and dry without. Seem good at all temps.The rear is a bit anonymous - I do use my rear a reasonable amount, particularly low speed filtering etc but overall it is used for rather anonymous additional braking so no great problem. Certainly not the cheapest pads but I think they cost a bit less than ebcs. Best price I found was on eBay from the guys that used to be CJ Wilson in Uphall - can't remember what their virtual shop is called.
Old 17-02-15, 11:13 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

yup think i'll give the SBS a try. i seen organic ones for the gsxr callipers on wemoto and thought about them as nobody does them.
Old 18-02-15, 09:25 PM   #8
wideguy

EBC (or Vesrah) HH, whichever is the better deal. I've used EBC HH since '95 on lots of different bikes for fast sport riding in the mountains and racing. Never had a problem, they last a long time, are easy on rotors and very linear, without a lot of initial bite, but enough power to loft the rear wheel if you want to. Lots of initial bite is something some people like, but I don't.
The Vesrahs seem to work identically.
Old 18-02-15, 11:30 PM   #9
Moleman

I don't like ebe oth than I found their HH lack any bite when coked so interested it this. koyoto never heard of them are they worth.
a pop they are cheap but is cheap good as I want to stop!!
Old 18-02-15, 11:51 PM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

my biggest problem is the SS discs i have dont like the wet with EBC. EBC are superb in the dry though.

i was looking at DP pads made by Dunlop who developed the Sintered pad all those years ago. from their blurb it makes no odds if wet or dry.