SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-03-16, 04:34 PM   #1
Tdi90

Default Rear tyre

Evening all. My curvy is due a new rear tyre shortly so wondering what peeps recommend?
Its got a matching pair or metzeler mez4 on at the minute (OEM tyres according to the manual). I'm no elbow/knee down loony but would still like decent grip along with a reasonable wear rate.
Having just come back into bikes after a moooosive break, I'm a wee bit out of touch so any help is nice
Old 10-03-16, 02:18 AM   #2
ManMango

Default Re: Rear tyre

I use Michelin Pilot Road 4s purchased from Tyre Leader. Dual compound for great Longevity but keeping the grip on the corners and brilliant wet grip too. You'll get others on here back me up on the PR4s. About £180 for the pair.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/motorbi...zr17-55w-81297
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/motorbi...r17-69w-190390
Old 10-03-16, 09:26 AM   #3
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdi90 View Post
Evening all. My curvy is due a new rear tyre shortly so wondering what peeps recommend?
Its got a matching pair or metzeler mez4 on at the minute (OEM tyres according to the manual). I'm no elbow/knee down loony but would still like decent grip along with a reasonable wear rate.
Having just come back into bikes after a moooosive break, I'm a wee bit out of touch so any help is nice
You're still alive whilst riding those things!

I had those when I first got my curvy. I swapped them for Metzeler MEZ6's front and rear, great tyre, knee down on track days grip. Great wet weather tyre too. Think they've been superseded by the MEZ8's

Currently got Avon Storms on front and rear, they too are a good tyre

ME4' are the scariest tyre I've ever had
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-16, 05:50 PM   #4
Tdi90

Cheers peeps.

Tbf the 4's seem fine. Previous owner musta also thought so as they are feathered round the edges front and rear! Me being a 'born again' with only prob 100 miles under my belt after a decade break has only got to about 2cm from the edges lol.
Stuck road tax on the other day and took it for a spin to get some fuel. Dry and sunny but COLD.
Old 10-03-16, 05:53 PM   #5
nutzboutbikes

Pirelli diablo rosso 2
Old 12-03-16, 09:32 PM   #6
embee
Mega Poster

Get rid of those Z4's, and do it now. Had them on my curvy when new back in 2001, OK for a couple of thousand miles but went off very markedly. Not good tyres and been superseded in the following years.

I have Metz Z8's on my curvy, and they aren't bad, but having put the Michelin PR4 on other bikes and ridden them across Europe, they'd be my choice of today's tyres. No contest in my view for general road use, until something better comes along it's PR4's.
Old 12-03-16, 10:58 PM   #7
Tdi90

The brother of a mate of mine at work has a load of part worn trackday tyres for silly money (£5 front and £10 - £15 a rear) So I'll have a look at them. Apparently the edges are well feathered but otherwise fine.

Any comments on part worns? Mates been using part worns from his brother for a couple of years with no issues on his cbr400 he says.
Old 13-03-16, 08:10 AM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Those tyres on your bike belong in a museum.Id replace both of them.As for using part worn track tyres on the road,it depends what they are.Id avoid them if they are proper race type tyres as those are designed to run at race temperatures which are not normal on the road,and certainly not suitable for an inexperienced rider.Modern road tyres are what you need.
Old 13-03-16, 08:41 AM   #9
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Those tyres on your bike belong in a museum.Id replace both of them.As for using part worn track tyres on the road,it depends what they are.Id avoid them if they are proper race type tyres as those are designed to run at race temperatures which are not normal on the road,and certainly not suitable for an inexperienced rider.Modern road tyres are what you need.
This ^^^^^^^^^
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-16, 09:41 AM   #10
Ch00

Put some Bridgestone T30s on the bike. I think they are awesome!!