SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-04-06, 11:46 AM   #1
BIKER-DENE

Default de muffling stock exhaust

Anyone who owns an SV650 knows that the stock muffler makes the engine sound like a lawnmower.

If you want better sound without the expense of aftermarket exhaust and rejetting, go down to the local hardware and pick up a drill bit extension (approx. 13" long) and a good quarter inch steel cutting bit.

Chuck the extended bit into your drill and insert it into the end of the muffler until it bottoms against the inner baffle plate. Carefully drill through the baffle in three or four equally spaced places (use a flashlight). Don't worry about the shavings since they will be trapped or blown out and cannot reach the motor. Add holes till you get the amount of sound you want.

You won't believe how much better it will sound with no loss in performance. Later on, when the piggy bank is fat, spring for a slip on and rejett with a K&N filter. It's worth the price in performance gains, believe me!

and if any one wants to try this i have a spare stock sc650 can in the for sale section for £30

thnx
dene
Old 21-04-06, 11:55 AM   #2
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Apart fom still have the huge standard can(got a standard can on mine ) ,what happens when it's time to sell/part-ex?. You may have to then look for a standard can.

Except one has got a spare standard can like you , I'll say why bother?

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-06, 12:54 PM   #3
Viney
Mega Poster

Dene

Been done before. Its also about the look and weight saving. You will be wasting your money on a K&N and jet kit with the stock exhaust, even modified.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-06, 12:57 PM   #4
DanAbnormal

Thanks for the tip. I probably would have given this ago had I seen this a few weeks ago. I was so bored with the lack of noise coming from the standard can so I bought an aftermarket one. Would have saved me a few pennies but there you go. Patience was never a strong point of mine.

Dan