SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-09-06, 01:19 PM   #1
Heed

Default The difference between certain bikers

I got my first SV650 last week and have been out on it for a run in the sun today. I live in Carlisle so I headed down the A6 to Penrith which is a top biking road. I then headed from Penrith to a place called Pooly Bridge in the lakes. The place was full of bikes and after a good nose round and a read of the paper by the river I headed back up to Carlisle. The road from Pooley Bridge to Penrith is very narrow but is a 60mph road. In the twisties an R1 shot past me the other way absolutely flying. As I rounded the next right hander another bike was well leant over cornering hard around the outside of a car on my side of the road. We narrowly missed each other, however had I have been in the car he would have been dead and I wouldn;t have been too well.

Conversely to this heading back up the A6 a biker went past the other way with his right arm out pointing down with his thumb. I guessed that this meant police ahead and duly slowed to 60mph. Sure enough there was police volvo sat in a layby about a mile ahead.

It just showed me how different certain bikers can be. After one nearly killing me another one saved me a potential 3 points.
Old 09-09-06, 01:31 PM   #2
jim@55

yep ,,,as in all walks of life theres knobs everywhere,,,just ride for yourself and let them kill themselves ,darwin award an all that
Old 09-09-06, 02:55 PM   #3
Razor

The A6 can be really dodgy. I've got into the habit of hugging the left side on left handers. I know this isn't the best for visibility but I've lost count of the times oncoming traffic has been using my side of the road. Especially bad on a Sunday afternoon...
Old 09-09-06, 05:44 PM   #4
chazzyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim@55
yep ,,,as in all walks of life theres knobs everywhere,,,just ride for yourself and let them kill themselves ,darwin award an all that
This afternoon, a knob on a bike coming the other way carried out an overtake which meant he had to use my road space - we passed on my side of the road, with me hugging the hedge. I was gobsmacked at how stupid he was. I half suspect he didn't see me before he committed himself. He should have seen me, in which case he was a complete tw*t. It was an older bloke - open face helmet and bearded.
Old 09-09-06, 05:56 PM   #5
Heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzyb
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim@55
This afternoon, a knob on a bike coming the other way carried out an overtake which meant he had to use my road space - we passed on my side of the road, with me hugging the hedge. I was gobsmacked at how stupid he was. I half suspect he didn't see me before he committed himself. He should have seen me, in which case he was a complete tw*t. It was an older bloke - open face helmet and bearded.
That's what happened to me apart from the guy was on what I think was an R1. He obviouslt hadn't seen me coming or was that stupid he assumed he'd get by.
Old 09-09-06, 06:07 PM   #6
timwilky
Mega Poster

You went too far round the roundabout on the A6, you should have followed the signs for the A686 Melmerby and gone over Hartside.

Give MArk Davidson (Amarko) a PM as he lives in Calisle he will be glad for any opportunity to sing the praises of Hartside
Old 09-09-06, 06:34 PM   #7
chazzyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzyb
Quote:
Originally Posted by heed
That's what happened to me apart from the guy was on what I think was an R1. He obviouslt hadn't seen me coming or was that stupid he assumed he'd get by.
Well, I didn't clock what the bloke was riding in my case. However, I'm an older bloke too, but I don't have an open face helmet, but am considering a growing beard...
Old 09-09-06, 07:01 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Once, in a right hander, I had someone on some sort of CBR go past me in the other direction, on my left. Lucky I'd botched my own line and cut in too early, or he'd probably have hit me head on at something like 100mph relative speed. He didn't look out of control either, he was hanging off like a monkey trying to get his knee down though.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 07:23 PM   #9
stuartyboy

I saw alsorts today. Overtaken by at least 3 R1s on blind bends. Real clever stuff and wehere did it get them? 3 cars in front of me as I rolled up behind them into Calander this afternoon.
Old 10-09-06, 10:39 PM   #10
ArtyLady

Idiots like that give the rest of us a bad name