SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Ancillaries Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on various other bits and bobs, such as rearsets, oil, engine bits.

Old 05-06-07, 09:51 AM   #1
jamesw1024

Default Tankbag recommendations

Hi All

Has anyone any tankbag recommendations? I've had a search through the site but can't see any. Really I'm after a tankbag that can be used as a rucksack and doesn't scratch my tank.

There's such a wide price range I can't see the difference in a lot of cases.

Thanks
Old 05-06-07, 09:54 AM   #2
plowsie

Default Re: Tankbag recommendations

bug hovis to get some from lidl!!!!

lol back down to earth, probably the best is Hein Gericke if you got 1 near. If not then on the tinternet. I hear Oxford are okay
Old 05-06-07, 10:07 AM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

Basically there are three types,

magnetic.
strap on.
harness attached.

Magnetic: whilst most have a soft (no scratch) backing, they do tend to pickup stuff on the back which will end up scratching your tank unless care is taken, the Oxford "humpback" kit (aprox £59+) is a good size (not quite A4 size) and stylish, also converts to a rutsack for carrying and even (with another base) converts to a tailpack to, but others are available from about £20.

Strap on, generally for plastic tanks, but can be used on any bike, not so much chance of scratching you tank, but more hassle to fit, some have a zip off base which remains on the bike (although this does look ugly), a good one will be £40+.

Harness attached, probably the best known is Baglux, a custom fitted tank cover is required, then a choice of bags. the cover is about £75 new, but they do come up on Ebay for about £20-25, bags likewise start at about £50 (for the smallest), the standard Alpha bag is more than A4 sized,expandable to 30ltrs, the system allows the bag to be easily unclipped at the back for fuel fills, and comes off/on easily, a good system and durable for everyday use.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-07, 11:11 AM   #4
hovis

get you @rse to aldis quick

£15
Old 05-06-07, 12:37 PM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I've got an Oxford Sports Lifetime one. 40 litres expanded, magnetic, lovely job.

Tip, the rain hood is useless, put your stuff in a bin liner otherwise it'll get soaked.

If you buy some that non slip matting the sell for tables / worktops etc and then put that on your tank and then put the tankbag on that, it should prevent any grit scratching your fuel tank hopefully.. perhaps...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-07, 12:57 PM   #6
El Saxo

+1 for the Oxford humpback tankbag.

Like Rictus said, it converts to a rucksack as it has shoulder straps under the zip-off magnetic base. It fits a lot of stuff in when expanded!

Another plus point is the zips etc are nice & chunky so it's easily accessed with gloved hands.

AFAIK you can by a seperate base to convert it to a tailpack too so it's good value for the money.

Try a couple of websites like M&P, they often have offers on Oxford kit.

HTH
Old 06-06-07, 07:39 AM   #7
jamesw1024

Excellent, thanks everyone. Looks like it's an Oxford humpback then.
Old 06-06-07, 07:45 AM   #8
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesw1024 View Post
Excellent, thanks everyone. Looks like it's an Oxford humpback then.
fizzwheel is selling a few in the for sale section

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=90731
Old 07-06-07, 10:50 AM   #9
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesw1024 View Post
Hi All

Has anyone any tankbag recommendations? I've had a search through the site but can't see any. Really I'm after a tankbag that can be used as a rucksack and doesn't scratch my tank.

There's such a wide price range I can't see the difference in a lot of cases.

Thanks
My uncle, and no my dad, use baglux ones - they are very good. The oxford one I have is ok, but the stitching isnt so great.

Matt
Old 07-06-07, 01:53 PM   #10
2mths

Got me an (old stock) Oxford Lifetime expander at the BMF. Not had it long enough to comment on tank scratching etc but on the whole I'm very happy with it. I did ~400 miles on the recent Wales meet with it expanded and whilst that's not very clever round the twisty bits it was doable. Not had a problem with stability etc yet. Used the rain hood only once. It was fine on that occasion but maybe it deteriorates over time (as others said it didn't work).

M&P just had a complete set on offer for just £65/70. Shame you didn't mention this earlier, I'd have suggested doing a split of the set (cos I now want tail pack \ panniers)