SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-09-07, 04:59 PM   #1
amxor

Question Rear Brake Lever problem

Evening everyone!

I've had a search around the forum, but have not seen anyone else have the same problem.

I've had my SV for about 2 months now, the back brake was initially fine. However, now when I use the rear brake i get a noticeable "click" (which is the only way I can describe it) about halfway through the travel of the lever.

The click is like there is some resistance in the lever, until something eventually gives way and then the lever continues to travel.

Any idea's what the click is, and if so, how do I fix it?

Thanks
Old 07-09-07, 05:04 PM   #2
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Default Re: Rear Brake Lever problem

Have you checked to see how tight the allen head bolt holding it on is?
if it's slightly loose I think the play in the bush sometimes clicks, I had the same click on my K3 SVs
hths
Old 08-09-07, 06:54 AM   #3
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Good morning.
If it's not anything loose as Richie suggests, it could be the piston inside the master cylinder binding slightly.
They tend to corrode somewhat, fortunately not on the fluid side. try squirting a little silicone lubricant (not WD40 or similar) under the rubber boot & see if that cures it.
3 in 1 do an excellent silicone lubricant, it's not that easy to get, but someone told me they've seen it in Halfords.

Cheers.
Old 08-09-07, 08:06 AM   #4
orose

How does it feel under your boot?

My K6 had a feeling like there was resistance pressing the pedal from time to time when I first got it, caused by crap in the pedal mechanism - spray grease (not WD40) cured that.
Old 08-09-07, 09:17 PM   #5
amxor

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I have given everything exposed a good oil and pumped the pedal to spread the greasing effect, but without success.

I have not yet had a chance to check the bolts or purchase some silicone lubricant, that may be a job for tomorrow.
Old 09-09-07, 08:09 AM   #6
toonyank

Hi, first of all get your ear down there and listen for where the sound is actually coming from. It may make sense once you have pin pointed it. Then follow one of the suggestions which ever suits.

Edit:

Sometimes what you feel with your boot isn't actually where the problem is coming from, eg. caliper or master cylinder problems as mentioned before.

Last edited by toonyank; 09-09-07 at 08:13 AM.