SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-06-05, 07:17 PM   #1
big twin grin

Default HELP...Weaping brake nipples

today I decided to bleed the front brakes and Put some new fluid into the front system. I did everything as usual and torqued up the nipples as specified in the manual. But, when I put the caps on fluid weeps out of the threaded part of the nipple with tiny air bubbles....Is this normal and has anyone else experienced this?
Old 30-06-05, 07:38 PM   #2
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

You may get a little seapage as the brake fluid will find it's way up the thread as well as out of the hole through the bleed nipple. What you are seeing is probably just the fluid that was on the thread being expunged now that everything is clamped back down. Suggest you clean and dry the area and then tie the brake lever back to the bars over night. the pressure in the system will highlight any leaks, i.e. there will be fluid coming out off the nipple.

Try this first.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-05, 08:16 PM   #3
embee
Mega Poster

pretty sure Scoobs is right.

When you finish bleeding the bore up the nipple is still full of fluid. The pointy end of the nipple has closed off the brake system. The thread is all on the atmosphere side of the seal.

When you push the rubber cap on, it traps air and slowly this is squeezed down the bore and back up the threads, which is what you're seeing (all parallel threads almost always leak unless you use sealant on them or have a sealing washer like a sump plug)

Try soaking the fluid out of the nipple bore with some rag/tissue/cotton wool and doing the tie-back thing as recommended. Chances are it'll be OK.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-05, 08:16 PM   #4
big twin grin

Thanks scoobs, have done that will have a look in the morning. Was just worried that I had overtightened them....
Old 30-06-05, 08:28 PM   #5
big twin grin

That makes a lot of sense. I will check in the morn. Do you know this through previous experiences?
Old 30-06-05, 08:32 PM   #6
embee
Mega Poster

Oh, years and years
embee is offline   Reply With Quote