SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-09-08, 01:46 PM   #1

Default Winter Tyres...

As the rain is now here.. (ha ha like it ever went) I am getting more and more nervous about riding the tuono in the wet as the standard dunlop 208rr's are awful in anything other than the dry.

I dont have loads to spent so I think corsa 3's are out, I was looking at Michelin Pilot Sports as they seem to do the job and are cost effective,(read old and cheap)

other than that I was looking at some conti road or race attacks?

I know this is an Sv forum, but you lot tend to do more mileage in bad weather that tuono riders...! (cept me)

Please list type and make, with reasons for and against, please dont derail with the i dont like his tyres because..

Many thanks

Alex
Old 11-09-08, 02:01 PM   #2
Blue_SV650S

Default Re: Winter Tyres...

Cheng Shin all the way!!!
Old 11-09-08, 02:02 PM   #3
Grinch

I've heard good things about Avon Storms, but have you looked in the hardware section? -->Tyres<--
Old 11-09-08, 02:03 PM   #4
Alpinestarhero

Michelin Pilot Road 2's are supposed to be good.

I quite like my MEZ6's in the winter, but they seem to take a little while to get up to tempurature, and before they do they can feel a little odd

That might just be me though
Old 11-09-08, 02:07 PM   #5
metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
Michelin Pilot Road 2's are supposed to be good.

I quite like my MEZ6's in the winter, but they seem to take a little while to get up to tempurature, and before they do they can feel a little odd

That might just be me though
I have them on my bike all good so far, as the weather close I post my thoughts not used them enough yet say. I would have thought any descent sports touring tyre would be good? The ones I have are meant to warm up quicker I have been told, I'm sure I find this out when its minus something over the winter....
Old 11-09-08, 02:08 PM   #6
Hooligan

To be honset, i have a r1 and ride in all weather and have found the 208rrs totally great compared to others like bridgestone 020 and 014s. So in all honesty id just stay with 208s as they quite cheep and practical.

Just my 2ps worth.
Old 11-09-08, 02:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
To be honset, i have a r1 and ride in all weather and have found the 208rrs totally great compared to others like bridgestone 020 and 014s. So in all honesty id just stay with 208s as they quite cheep and practical.

Just my 2ps worth.

but spun up on me at 3k rpm coming off a roundabout... no thanks..
Old 11-09-08, 02:24 PM   #8
Hooligan

Well no tyre in this earth is going to stop sports bikes spinning up on corners, its down to rider skill and controlling power, so its up to you, learn to control power and not be throttle happy or spend hundreds on tyres that you hope will help you then find they wont.
If you master your bike you can control the slide and get your experience up, rather than relying on your bike to help you stay on.
Old 11-09-08, 02:24 PM   #9
JamesMio
Mega Poster

I used Pilot Sports through last winter and had no problems (other than going through the back in something like 2000 miles....), got Road Attacks on now and have done plenty of soaking miles on them without any problems. One back end slide but that was on the hairpin at Knockhill, and in fairness I was giving it stacks!

I'd be happy with either, but you'll probably pick up a set of Pilot Sports cheaper than Conti's I'd imagine.

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 02:27 PM   #10
Alpinestarhero

It comes down to feel aswell with tyres; some people are happy on one tyre than another

I'd like to recall the story of Simon Crafer here, who thrashed the world in 1998 at the donington GP (including mighty mick doohan) when he had dunlop boots on.

When the switch was made to michelin, he just couldnt get on with the bike.

As for spinning off at 3000 rpm on a rounadbout, that would be a combo of cold tyres and a really slick surface I imagine (I cant see you being throttle happy with added stupidness Numbers)

(hooligan...be a bit careful about doubting peoples riding skill before you post about it!!! I sense a bit of a catfight brewing now)

Matt