SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-08-16, 12:10 PM   #1
kellenator

Default Slow revving, difficult running cold

My 2002 SV650 has only 1200mi on it. I've used it for a few track days, but it hasn't been run in a few years. I took the carbs off, cleaned out the main and idle jets (idle jets were clogged), cleaned the throttle diaphragms as they were sticking a bit, then put everything back together. Started right up!

Symptoms:
1. Although it idles fine, I can't give it any throttle when cold with the choke on. When I do it dies.
2. When it warms up, it pops a bit if the throttle is cracked at around 4000 rpm
3. It revs very slowly at idle if the throttle is quickly opened to full throttle. Takes its time to get to about 5k, then it revs above that with what seems normal.

Last edited by kellenator; 18-08-16 at 02:29 PM.
Old 18-08-16, 12:20 PM   #2
Corny Gizmo

Default Re: Slow revving, difficult running cold

Have you put fresh petrol in it?
Old 18-08-16, 12:30 PM   #3
kellenator

Yep, drained and 1 gal fresh gas is in the tank.
Old 18-08-16, 12:34 PM   #4
Corny Gizmo

Symptom 1, as I remember is expected because the choke closes the air intake to make it run rich to aid starting, my 125 used to cut out if I tried to ride off with the choke on.

I would put the other two down to the bike being to rich - either the choke plungers are sticking or the needles need a tweak.
Old 18-08-16, 01:41 PM   #5
kellenator

I took apart the choke and cleaned the plungers too. Before I did that, the choke wasn't even working. Now it turns on and off easily.
Old 18-08-16, 02:53 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Reluctance to rev and popping when fully warmed up could be air leaks.Check the carbs and airbox seating onto the rubbers,and the (hopefully standard) airfilter.Are all the hoses connected up properly,including the two crankcase breathers?
Poor running on the choke when cold is probably a different issue.