SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-10-08, 12:21 PM   #1
Miss Alpinestarhero

Default Deaf Driver Sign

Say you were behind a driver and saw a sign which said "deaf driver", how would you feel being behind that car? For example, would you feel more cautious or vulnerable because the driver might not hear or would you feel (in an odd way) "safer" because the driver might be more observant to make up for the loss of hearing? Or does it have the opposite effect of "not another bloody sign warning me of X, Y, Z"

Im not trying to see if people act in a discriminatory/stereotypical / judgemental way...im just wondering what sort of feelings a sign like this would evoke. I drive around with a deaf driver sign on my car (even though im not 100% deaf and can hear stuff) to simply let emergency veichles know that it might take me a bit longer to hear them zooming down the road with their sirens blaring

The main reason im asking this is because Im in the process of writing an article about deaf psychologist/health professionals and patient relations for the British Psychological Society. The mental health patients I work with seem to respond positively to the fact I have a hearing impairment because it shows I also have a "problem" and im not a perfect professional who will look down on them. However im not sure if I will submit it formally once ive written it....

Maria
Old 07-10-08, 12:25 PM   #2
cuffy

Default Re: Deaf Driver Sign

I'd just ignore it, same as the "baby on board" signs, is tht meant to make me coast past as not to wake baby? Never understood them.

However, "Pole dancer on board" usually makes me give a sideward glance when overtaking
Old 07-10-08, 12:26 PM   #3
G
Mega Poster

I didnt even know a piece of 'deaf driver' signage existed to be honest.

They are probably more aware of their sorroundings than joe ******** with their music blaring at maximum level.
Old 07-10-08, 12:34 PM   #4
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Im with cuffy. I drive responsibly curtiously and safely so I don't know what more I could do when met with baby on board etc signs.

I understand the reasoning with your sign to alert emergency services but beyond that to the everyday driver im not sure it is relavent. Actually thinking about it do you find cars are sometimes overly cautious to the point they make themselves a hazard?
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-08, 12:55 PM   #5
Foey

I'm usually too busy watching the road & other road users, only time i read a sign on a car is when it says "POLICE".
Old 07-10-08, 12:59 PM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I'd treat them the same as every other car driver. I.e. I assume that they havent seen or heard me. Being deaf has no relfection on your ability to drive like a muppet.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-08, 12:59 PM   #7
Grinch

I'm not sure I'd think about it, our car has 'disabled' badges on it (Jax has rather damaged knees). But more for parking to hope people give us a little bit more space and don't box us in or something.
In the day to day road use I'm not sure most people would give it a second thought, but its usefulness to emergency services is great. Meaning they that know Jax may have difficulty if there was a accident and I'm sure its the same for you.
Old 07-10-08, 01:04 PM   #8
thor

Quite simple really. It's just letting you know that the horn won't work. Other than that, I don't see why you would treat them differently?
Old 07-10-08, 01:04 PM   #9
Woz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foey View Post
I'm usually too busy watching the road & other road users, only time i read a sign on a car is when it says "POLICE".
Me too. Oh and L or P plates get my attention too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffy View Post
I'd just ignore it, same as the "baby on board" signs, is tht meant to make me coast past as not to wake baby? Never understood them.
There's an urban myth that an unconscious woman was cut from a very serious car crash by by the emergency services. When she woke up in hospital she asked where her baby was. The response was "what baby?" Now overprotective parents display them 'just in case'. Someone must have made a killing on that one.
Old 07-10-08, 01:19 PM   #10
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffy View Post
"baby on board" signs
It's madness to put your baby on a board anyway. If you can't afford a proper car seat don't take the baby in the car I say.