SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: Have you had an accident on your motorcycle?
No! 7 16.67%
Yes! Someone else's fault! 19 45.24%
Yes! My fault! 16 38.10%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-03, 04:21 PM   #1
vtwin

Default Who's had an accident on their bike?

I have been involved in two collisions in the last 2 months, both on my way home from London, both the fault of cars. No serious damage done on either occasion but sore knees and two weeks off work after the second one. As we can now run polls on this flashy new forum I thought I'd ask the question.
Old 11-07-03, 06:17 PM   #2
Smidsy

Default Accident

Do you mean on our SV's or ANY bike???????
Old 11-07-03, 06:41 PM   #3
vtwin

Any bike. As many of us SV riders are newbies I imagine there will be quite a few of us that have been involved in some kind of accident or other. I wouldn't include simply dropping the bike, though.
Old 12-07-03, 11:49 PM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

Surely this poll can’t mean anything without covering things like mileage, how many years you’ve been riding and where you ride.

Example:-
1. been riding 6 months, at weekends, only in Surrey, 1,100 mls, no accidents.
2. been riding 23 years, every day, commute into London, 40,000 mls per year, 8 accidents. None for last 3 yrs.

The first, hasn't had an accident in 1,100 mls.
However the second although having had 8 passed accidents, hasn't had an accident in 120,000 mls and 3 yrs.

See what I mean.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-03, 01:22 AM   #5
ixlr8

AN accident? ONE accident? I wish I'd need to submit a dozen entries
ixlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-03, 08:10 AM   #6
adman

not binned my sv and ive had it 18 months now. binned my last bike a week before i got the sv though, someone elses fault i got side swiped
Old 14-07-03, 09:30 AM   #7
graycat

managed to come off my sv about 2 months back due to hitting very pretty patch of diesel whilst braking. I know it was pretty caoz my helmeted head bounced in it a few times giving me a really close view.

ok, so that makes it 3 accidents to date. the score stands at:

Diesel 2
Tim 1

hhmmm, should be able to come back in the second half though

T.
Old 14-07-03, 01:39 PM   #8
howardr

Default Poll

I don't understand the poll. Surely ALL accidents are your fault. You should be able to foresee ANY given eventuality and ride accordingly at all times!

Chyaa! and monkeys might fly outa my butt!
Old 15-07-03, 01:02 PM   #9
clanger

riding almost 18 years - had 3 accidents....
One on C90 chicken chaser - lorry nudged me off the road, ended up in a hedge - no damage.
2nd one on same C90 - taxi hit me rather than hitting a parked car, I went down the road on my knees...not very nice! Recovered quite quickly though!
3rd accident on Honda Bros - on a roundabout, classic case of sorry mate didnt see you. Crushed lower leg and knackered pelvis. Worst accident yet...still not recovered - and have been told I wont do either... 4.5 years later and just found out Im due to receive compensation in a few weeks time...hurrah!
Old 24-07-03, 10:34 PM   #10
bikerdude69

Had been riding my shiny 99 svs 8 days when i was overtaking a car on a straight long stretch of road. i overtook, well got to the drivers door anyway. he swiped me i hit oncoming traffic,result me very unconscious and heavily bleeding. Ears nose mouth EYES (yes eyes). 14 fractures to the pelvis, 2 to the skull, one to the jaw major swelling of the brain,burst eardrums, vision sh**ged, and a part of my brain is now permanently dead.
Well two weeks in hospital and six months house bound and i am now back to work.
you will all be pleased (not) to know that as the witnesses were so worried about me they neglected to get the reg number of the car even though he stopped 50 yards up the road to look back (then drove off very quickly)
moral of the story : nobody can avoid all accidents there are just too many sadistic morons out there who hate bikers.

chris