SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-07-07, 04:04 PM   #1
markmoto

Default Poor ground clearance

Man i miss the sv for its ground clearance was out on a ride today on my fazer 1000 and ok so the pegs ground out easy i know that, but on a particular bend i was hangin off and the peg touched down but also so did the centre stand (Not good) the centre stand doesnt move bike had abit of a wiggle but no drama. So soon as i got home the centre stand got whipped off i never use it anyway. So next job is a set of tappered pegs me thinks then i should be ok for some nee down action

Its not big and its not clever but it is soo much fun
Old 29-07-07, 04:09 PM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: Poor ground clearance

my old zzr600s used to grind the centre stand when cornering with a pillion, no great dramas but good sparks on dark nights.
Old 29-07-07, 04:11 PM   #3
markmoto

lol there is that but id rather it was my toe or nee slider than bits of the bike pegs are ok cos they move but centre stands dont so gets can get abit hairy!
Old 29-07-07, 04:18 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I figure on the SV tht those little bolts are designed to be ground out, thats why they stick out and are replaceable, not that I've managed it yet, though i am about 10mm off the edge of the tyre.
Old 29-07-07, 04:20 PM   #5
markmoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I figure on the SV tht those little bolts are designed to be ground out, thats why they stick out and are replaceable, not that I've managed it yet, though i am about 10mm off the edge of the tyre.
Absolutely mate yeah thats what there are for when i had my vtr 1000 they where about 2inchs long but used to unscrew themselves when they touched down, seen an 05 fireblade today with prity long ones.
Old 29-07-07, 04:59 PM   #6
kwak zzr

ive had my knee down on the sv but never touched the pegs down and all the tyre is used.
Old 29-07-07, 07:30 PM   #7
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
ive had my knee down on the sv but never touched the pegs down and all the tyre is used.
You're doing it right then.
Old 29-07-07, 09:50 PM   #8
kwak zzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
You're doing it right then.
oh thanks
Old 29-07-07, 10:07 PM   #9
Lozzo

Credit where it's due - you're obviously keeping the bike upright enough to keep anything solid like footrests and exhaust cans off the deck, but far enough over to make full use of the tyre. That's what appropriate hanging off does for you.

I was at a GB2/No-Limits trackday at Rockingham today where I helped my instructor mate Danny give an American lady some instruction on hanging off and faster cornering. In the morning she'd been one of the fastest novices, but was sat bolt upright and badly scraping the pegs on her lowered GSR600. In the afternoon, after being moved up a group, she was in the lower to middle of the inters with the pegs only lightly scraping, and a body position mid corner that made John Reynolds look twice and comment on how good she looked out there (we didn't tell her this cos we didn't want her to become too over-confident). Coming through the hairpin onto the long straight she said the bike felt like it just pivoted round and followed her eyes. Unfortunately she didn't have any sliders, but she wasn't at all far off getting her knee down if she'd wanted. I timed her laps and she was knocking half a second off each lap every time she came round. Correct hanging off really works. I love teaching women things like that, unlike most men they listen and take it all in.

She's only been riding since last October too - a natural.
Old 29-07-07, 10:16 PM   #10
kwak zzr

nicely explained lozzo, ive been riding years and can corner fast without hanging off but when i started to get my body position right it just feels right if that makes any sense?