SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-09-16, 03:39 PM   #1
daktulos

Question Stock parts

Hi all,

I have a 2000 curvy which is really low-milage at the moment. It seems to be running pretty well, and I don't have any reason to replace it - I'm hoping it'll keep going for a good few years to come. Of course, spare parts are going to become harder to find.

I noticed that there seem to be a few curvys being broken for parts at the moment and thought it might be a good time to buy some stock if I saw something useful going dirt-cheap.

I'm guessing parts like the reg/rec will always be available from third-parties, but there are parts like the ICU (which OliviaSF had to replace this week) which will need to be OEM.

So, my question is - in ten years time, what is likely to have broken which couldn't easily (or cheaply) be replaced?

Thanks!
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-16, 05:27 AM   #2
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Stock parts

For me it's the bits that stick out - indis, clip-ons, levers, maybe the odd panel as mine is an unusual colour. Not worried about the electronics.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-16, 06:01 AM   #3
500tie

As the curvy is quite an old design now it's not exactly technologically advanced. Therefore most of the bikes from the same era will have interchangeable parts. Like johnnyrod said I'd be more concerned about the stuff that is bespoke to the SV, indicators and fairings off example
Old 16-09-16, 09:18 AM   #4
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Some parts are surprisingly expensive - like a brake lever if you can't find a used one, though even those can be a lot. Some are interchangeable with e.g. GSXR600 SRAD or whatever else, you can look up part numbers from the SV then do a search and find out which models share that. I've been picking up bits for a while when I see them cheap, if need be I can sell them off in the future. But yes, the SV-specific stuff is really the important stuff.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-16, 11:26 AM   #5
Blapper

Wot's an SRAD?
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote