SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-12-07, 06:48 PM   #1
Sean_C

Default I Crashed.

So, I had a small problem with a tree.

I was lost somewhere between Potton and somewhere else, turned around to come back into potton, and approach an S bend at about 30mph, maybe 35.
It was off camber, up hill, and tightened suddenly, and I clipped the side of the road, which was just potholes and a verge. Managed to not fall off, grabbed a handful of brake, road turns left again off camber, back end slides out as the rear wheel locks, and I'm flying down the side of the road towards a tree.
I let go of the bike, it hit the tree, i hit the tree just above the bike. Luckily, I have no broken bones, but I'm pretty immobile, and my back is bruised like buggery.. And the doctor says it'll be worse tomorrow

The lady in the only house for miles kindly leaned out of her bedroom window to ask if I'd run over her chicken. Her reply to my "What?" was that a biker got killed on that very same corner. Oh, great, I really wanted to know that.

So, damage..
I've broken the left top fairing, the front bit has a huge crack in it, and there's a few more cracks and a lot of scratches on the sides and lowers. The forks were twisted, manage to twist them back only to find out on of the stanchions was slightly bent.
Somehow, no indicators, mirrors, levers or anything like that broke.. Although there is something wrong with the gear lever, it took me a long time to find neutral, i think that will be expensive to sort.

A big thankyou to the three complete ****s who happily ignored the guy covered in mud waving his arms at you as you drive through the middle of nowhere ogling the bike on its side against a tree.

Lesson learned? Next time I try visit my sister, I'm taking the A1M and not country lanes in the **** end of nowhere. Though I did find some good roads, so not all is lost..

I've taken all the fairings off and theres a mark on the frame that I hope will polish out. Good time to streetfighter it

Oops.
Old 31-12-07, 06:54 PM   #2
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Default Re: "Oh Sh!t*...

Oh Sean

Really sorry to hear about this, but hopefully you'll be able to sort things out relatively easily and cheaply, especially if you're not looking to replace the plastics straight away.

And apart from some aches. pains and bruises I'm glad you are ok.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-07, 06:59 PM   #3
Biker_Billy

Damn....hope you heal up ok....am sure the bike will be fixed and back on the road in no time!

Have some champagne to cheer you up...and get red of the pains...as long as you arent on medication of course...

Billy.
Old 31-12-07, 07:01 PM   #4
husky03
Mega Poster

Bad news dude-have a few drams tonight and help ease the pain-let me know what your needing once your better and i'll keep my eyes peeled.Atleast tomorrow you'll be able to say you binned your bike LAST year.

husky
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-07, 07:06 PM   #5
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

oh nuts its rare and bestest of the sv blue curvy aswell

GWS mate to you and the bike

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-07, 07:13 PM   #6
thedonal

Damn. Sorry to hear of that. Glad nothing's broken (on you that is). Hope you mend soon- I'm sure you'll be sore, but drink a few tonight to help relax the muscles!

Take care and recover well. Look after yerself first and the bike after.
Old 31-12-07, 07:26 PM   #7
stewie

GWS Sean, have few tonite to take you mind off it mate
p.s give ya £ 30 for the bike
Old 31-12-07, 07:27 PM   #8
Pedrosa

Damn! Unlucky fella. However at least you don't go in to 2008 riddled with guilt about slaying the woman's chicken!
Old 31-12-07, 07:33 PM   #9
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Oh come on! Eveyone knows trees win arguments! Pick on something smaller next time

Glad you're OK, the coming cold spell at least gives you time to fix 'er up a bit!
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-07, 08:32 PM   #10
Sean_C

Thanks everyone. Needed to vent it!
Should be a cheapish fix, I hope Still. Better to come off and get away lightly than come off where other people/cars/things are involved.. If anything, I'm more determined to get out and improve my riding. Joining IAM as soon as I'm OTR again. And signing up for Bikesafe.

I still have some faith in humanity. After getting the bike down the hill and parking it up on the edge of potton, an old boy in his car saw me hobbling and picked me up, turned out he was a biker before he got too old, rode from britain all around europe and beyond.. there are still some nice people about

30 quid eh stewie. Well, that'd pay for a new front fender.

F*cking chickens. As if I give a **** about chickens. Daft bint.

I know someone who wasn't happy with losing an argument with a tree, went back a day later and cut the thing down